cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to Setup Netgear Orbi RBK50 with Superhub 4

Burakiosaurus
On our wavelength

I've read a number of threads on here with regards to people with the Netgear Orbi RBK50 and their Superhubs.

I'm setting mine up later today and wanted to ask a few quick questions:

• Does my Superhub 4 need to be put into Modem mode before I set up the Netgear Orbi
  • Can the Netgear Orbi plug straight in to my Superhub without switching to Modem mode? This is the way according to the many YouTube videos I've watched on it. 

Seen some good info in these threads below. 

Any advice much appreciated and apologies if this feels like I'm re-treading old ground.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Big-problem-with-new-Hub-3/m-p/4116497#M254...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/superhub-as-modem-and-network-switch-with-n...

22 REPLIES 22

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Hub4.
VM dropped the term “super” from their marketing jargon presumably because it breached some trading rules 🙂

Yes you can connect the Orbi to the hub in router mode but why would you? The routing etc. on the hub is pretty poor and you’d be better off leaving it a more powerful and purpose built device to handle. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Ha, well it's not Super, just 'ordinary' really! So Hub 4 makes more sense. 

I thought that would be the case, it's just nearly all of the reviews on the Orbi don't mention putting your ISP provided hub into Modem mode first. 

Will get this bad boy setup a bit later and see how I get on! 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Follow this standard sequence.

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Probably because most of the reviews are USA based and they tend to have separate modems and routers out there rather than combined hubs. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

The Base light is not turning magenta.

I’m following the steps as per the website:

- Enable Modem

- Hit apply changes

The Hub 4 reset, came back on, the ring light is still white.

I also cannot access the Hub 4 via the new address of 192.168.100.1 (via wireless, not plugged my Mac directly into the hub via Ethernet)

can anyone advise next steps from here please?

The light stays white on the Hub4 regardless of what mode it’s in.

Is there anything else cabled to the hub other than the Netgear?

Is it still broadcasting WiFi (i.e. in router mode)? Can you still connect to WiFi and access the settings at http://192.168.0.1/ 

---------------------------------------------------------------
M100. Hub3. Mix TV. V6 Box. TP-Link Deco M5 MESH.

I’ve not actually connected the NetGear yet as I was following the instructions above, saying the Hub light should go Magenta.

I’ve only got the phone line plugged into my Virgin Hub 4 right now. 

I’ll try connecting the NetGear now, seeing as the Light doesn’t need to be Magenta on the Hub 4 to say it’s in Modem mode.

@Burakiosaurus wrote:

I’ve not actually connected the NetGear yet as I was following the instructions above, saying the Hub light should go Magenta.

I’ve only got the phone line plugged into my Virgin Hub 4 right now. 

I’ll try connecting the NetGear now, seeing as the Light doesn’t need to be Magenta on the Hub 4 to say it’s in Modem mode.

It won’t broadcast Wi-Fi in modem mode. That’s why you need to attach your own equipment.

Plug the Netgear in but it might not work.

If it doesn’t you’ll need to power off the hub and the Netgear. Then power on the hub only. Allow 5 mins for it to settle. Then power on the Netgear.