Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Zen WiFi AX XT8 vs DHCP

BDIS
Joining in

Hi,

im wondering if anyone can help me. 
I have a Virgin Hub 3 and I am trying to use an ASUS Zen WiFi AX XT8 router with it. 

I have followed the instructions and put the hub into modem mode. I have then followed the instructions for setting up the router. So far, so good...

But....

The router is unable to connect to the internet and it gives the cause as an issue with the ISP’s DHCP settings.

I’ve had a Virgin engineer out today to check the hub and a laptop can connect to the internet fine via a cable into the back of the hub in modem mode. 

However, neither he nor I could find any settings on the hub to change the DHCP settings. 

Can I ask if anyone has experienced anything similar, and / or if anyone can help me resolve this please?

Thanks

Ben

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Once the hub is in modem only mode, power off the router and hub.

Make sure that only the router is connected to the hubs Ethernet port the one closest to the power cable.

Power on the hub and wait until the light stabilize the bottom light on the hub should be magenta although can look like it is red and no other lights turned on.

Then power on your router once the router lights have stabilized you should be good to go.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Your welcome, if you have any more queries by all means come on back to the forum we do have a great team of VM staff members, VIPs and normal customers with a great deal of knowledge. Stay safe and have a great afternoon.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Once the hub is in modem only mode, power off the router and hub.

Make sure that only the router is connected to the hubs Ethernet port the one closest to the power cable.

Power on the hub and wait until the light stabilize the bottom light on the hub should be magenta although can look like it is red and no other lights turned on.

Then power on your router once the router lights have stabilized you should be good to go.

Regards Mike

Well that’s just frustratingly simple!

All sorted. 

Thank you!

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Your welcome, if you have any more queries by all means come on back to the forum we do have a great team of VM staff members, VIPs and normal customers with a great deal of knowledge. Stay safe and have a great afternoon.

Regards Mike

You've got an Asus ZenWifi AX XT8?

Even though my trusty and inexpensive TP-Link Deco M4 meets all of my needs and can max out my 200 Mbps connection anywhere in the house, I am absolutely green with envy.

Hi,

Quick question. I have exactly the same (Hub3 and ASUS Zen Wifi AX XT8) but didn't set the Hub in modem only mode. That said everything seems to be working perfectly. Is there any advantage of setting it up in modem only?

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cl232 wrote:

Hi,

Quick question. I have exactly the same (Hub3 and ASUS Zen Wifi AX XT8) but didn't set the Hub in modem only mode. That said everything seems to be working perfectly. Is there any advantage of setting it up in modem only?

Thanks,

Setting the HUB in modem mode means the Asus deals with ALL wired and wireless traffic, including allocating IP addresses via DHCP.

You may not see much difference depending on the number of devices you have.

@cl232 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

I assume you’ve set the ASUS nodes up as Bridge/Access Points?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

sophist
Trouble shooter

@cl232 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

also, unless you're running the Asus in "bridge" mode, your asus network will be double natted. not necessarily a problem, but can cause frustrating problems if you don't know / don't know how to work with it..

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a Mesh set up for the house and looking at TP and ASUS. Obviously cost-wise there's a difference nut just wondering in terms of the mesh reach across the house. TP Link offer 3 units and ASUS only 2, but is the ASUS so much more powerful to reach the far flung corners or would it be advisable to get a set up such at the TP with 3 units? The house is pretty much rectangular, brick built with 5 bedrooms......around 2,400 sq ft.

Any pro's/cons would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks

Chris