cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Wifi Router

Red1968man
Joining in

Hi,

Virgin SH3 in modem mode and Asus RT-AC68U wifi router, 2 TP-Link AV600 powerline passthrough adapters used to keep the Asus connected to the SH as they're in different parts of the house and the walls are thick, both been working great since installation of Virgin back in June, that was until my girlfriend accidently switched off the power to the Asus router on Fri night about 11pm, got up on the Sat morning and no wifi to firestick, tried my phone and laptop with the same issue, both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz saying connected to wifi but no internet access

So I went through the steps of switching everything off, unplugged the Asus and took to the room that has the SH, got the laptop connected to the Asus and reset it, once the Asus was back up and the LEDs were lit up I connected the WAN port on the back of the Asus to the SH and then switched the SH on, once the SH was up I got an 82.14.xxx.xx IP address from the SH on the Asus, all good, disconnected the Asus and took back to the room where it normally sits and plugged the ethernet cable from the powerline adapter into a port on the rear of the Asus and switched it on, also the 2nd powerline adapter sits next the SH and ethernet cable goes from there to the SH to complete the circuit, anyway, wifi working but 2/3 mins later I had no wifi on mobile, laptop or firestick, all saying connected to wifi but no internet, I logged back into the ASUS and noticed under network map Internet Status was disconnected, connected my 20m ethernet cable from Asus WAN port back to SH and everything working again, now I remember setting everything up like this back in June but it's got me stumped as to why I keep losing internet when I remove the 20m cable between the SH and Asus, surely the powerline adapters are doing the same job?

I'm stumped as to why this isn't working as it's the way I set it up previously

One thing I did notice, if I remove the ethernet cable from the powerline adapter that's plugged into the SH the SH reboots itself

Any networking bods able to shed some light on this, much appreciated

TIA 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yokomoko
On our wavelength

The powerlinr adapters in my opinion are very temperamental. They'll work fine for months and months and then have some weird as hell issue. I've got the same router but just cabled about 15m to plug it in directly and it's been working a treat even when I hard-reset the VM box and then turn it back to mode mode. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Yokomoko
On our wavelength

The powerlinr adapters in my opinion are very temperamental. They'll work fine for months and months and then have some weird as hell issue. I've got the same router but just cabled about 15m to plug it in directly and it's been working a treat even when I hard-reset the VM box and then turn it back to mode mode. 

Red1968man
Joining in

Ok, update

I've reset both powerline adapters and reset the SH and ASUS connected everything back up as per my original post and it's all finally working