cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS RT-AC85P - Super Hub 3 Issue

chompy158
Joining in

Hi, hoping someone can help me out.

I got an ASUS RT-AC85P and set it up with my Superhub 3 in modem mode and so far have been having issues with connectivity. The wifi speed is so much better than the Super Hub 3 along with a faster and easier to use control panel but it seems that the broadband signal cuts out around every 10 minutes. These cutouts happen both on wifi and wired connections but they do not effect the wired connection as bad as the wifi. I do not notice the cut-outs when playing games or browsing on my wired PC but i have automated bots running on a wired raspberry pi which report the cut-outs to me in the console. On wireless connections, the cut-outs happen and cause whatever content im looking at to buffer or not load for about 30secs-1 min at a time.

Have tried a pin-hole 60 second reset and restarted router etc. but cant seem to fix the issue. The super hub has had an issue with it resetting its network name and password randomly which is why I turned it to a modem and got a 3rd party router but now im facing these cut-outs.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Screenshot_1.png

(attached a screenshot of one of the bots a run reporting cut-outs)

19 REPLIES 19

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you set it up using the sequence below? If not try it again this way.

Disconnect all cables from your new router and unplug it from the power. Put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub MUST then be powered off. Then, switch on and set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & Nat mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then plug in the WAN ethernet cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection in a few minutes. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the info, gave it a go but unfortunately I've already had family members complain about the same issue, Youtube video just stops loading and buffers.

Ive ordered a replacement router as a backup so i can start eliminating factors if the issue doesnt get any better but im completely at a loss on what to do. Ive been a VM customer for a few years now and for some reason i always seem to have problems and Virgin have sent out about 7 routers in replacements because something has stopped working

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Lets see some connection data for any clues.....

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I'd been looking into possible issues with the Super Hub 3 in modem mode and found a post you'd previously replied to midway through 2020 so i started a quality monitor not long before making this post

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/02a18dfbce96c55f81debd4029a4d15b53...

The red section is when i was following your setup instructions

your graph isnt clean from spikes but looks well within limits that should work without problems.

post your hub stats like mentioned above.

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Gig1 | Hub 5 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U | Asus RT-AC86U

Downstream:

down1.png

down2.png

 Upstream:

upstream.png

Network Log:

logg1.jpg

logg2.jpg

logg3.jpg

logg4.jpg

    

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, chompy158

Sorry to hear that you have been having connection issues with your broadband. I have been running some remote diagnostics which has confirmed some errors with your connection. I have set up an engineer’s visit for you which you will be able to view from your online account here.

Cheers,

Corey C

Hi Corey,

Engineer came out and said he knew what the problem was, made some changes to our cables and showed me the difference in signal. Gave some time for the hub to settle etc and still seem to be having issues, i set up another monitor and this is the response. ill link the monitor and a screenshot of the past 24 hours for me. Any help would be great

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ca0d76d9253e4331ccd6e4d282f35fd0f60de891

chompy158_0-1617212261905.png

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi chompy158,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I'm sorry that you're still experiencing these problems.

I've had a look at your account and I can't see any issues from our end. Did our engineer give any indication of what he thought was causing this problem?

Thanks,

Laurie_C
Forum Team