cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AGE LIMIT for broadband account?

Chloe2048
Just joined

Im due to be moving into a supported accomodation soon, and i have to source my own wifi as they dont have a residents wifi. Im 17, have sadly lost both my parents & i need wifi for college applications, college work/study, writing CVs for part time jobs, etc... Alot of wifi companies wont allow U18s which is so stressful, does virgin media allow U18s to get wifi

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

5 REPLIES 5

g0akc
Problem sorter

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

As far as I know the minimum age for a broadband contract is 18.  Virgin Media also require that someone aged 18 or over is present when the installation is carried out and so on.

A forum rep will hopefully come along and advise (and can PM you) - they may have some way of working round this.  Can anyone at the assisted housing help, such as the manager/custodian?  They are likely to be familiar with dealing with utility companies.

I do hope you can get it sorted out.  Best wishes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. Is there someone else in your family or accommodation who is 18 or over?

VM do deals for students and also affordable rolling contracts

See https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/student

The standard VM terms and conditions do also say that someone over 18 needs to be around for installation - although as far as I can see are interestingly silent on minimum age for broadband contracts ( other than for mobile). Maybe VM forum team can signpost me to the right bit of the Legal page on this. 

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Afternoon Chloe2048. thank for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Terribly sorry to hear of your loss, and I sincerely hope you have friends and family close to you to offer you the support you need.

Sadly we would have to advise that we wouldn't be able to offer a contract to a customer who is under the age of 18.

As previously suggested on the thread, do you have anyone close to you, or associated with the supported accommodation who's over the age of 18, and who would be able to assist you?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

derekheeps
Dialled in

Chloe , I too am sorry to learn of your circumstances .

If you cannot find someone to step in and take on the contract , another option might be to look for an unlimited data SIM card for your mobile ?

It has now been five years for me , but since my iPhone went out of contract , I happened to be walking past a Vodafone outlet and saw that they were offering a SIM with unlimited calls , texts and data for £21 per month ( better deals may now be available ) , when I went in to enquire , I found that because of my employment ( emergency services ) there were further discounts and I ended up paying £17/month .

If you cannot get broadband , you may be able to get a suitable deal which would allow you to either create a hotspot from your phone , or tether it via Bluetooth or USB to a computer , thus getting a connection until you turn 18 .

I've been using my mobile for data for the last two and a half years , since separating from my partner , and am only now getting broadband , having just bought a house . Throughout that period I have typically got circa 250 Kb/s over 4G , not blazingly fast , but reliable and useable .

Just an option that may help in the short term 

It is always worth shopping around .

Given the age restriction, I too would look for an unlimited data SIM card and set up a hot spot with a phone or dongle

Sites like Money Supermarket provide comparisons like This 

Or shop around online/on the high street

There are deals from around £16/month

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!