Menu
DABhand
Super solver
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A lot of DNS issues especially from 9pm to 6am

As per subject, every night there is a distinct annoying problem with DNS routing, or even worse at times where I cannot access a site at all, but the site is fine and has no problems. Usually the culprit seems to be in the realms of TLS handshaking.

Also have noticed a new amount of annoying Post-RS errors on all channels, not good when they average 100k.

Majide!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: A lot of DNS issues especially from 9pm to 6am

One is equal to the other.

DNS uses UDP which doesn't use a SYN-SYN-ACK.

So if packets are getting mangled (i.e high post RS) DNS is likely to be ropey.

Cure the packet mangling, cure the DNS issues...

Whats downstream SNR looking like?

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's actually in the realms of acceptable for all channels, just found out this is a national problem at night, with access to Twitch, Twitter etc getting hit hard.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@DABhand wrote:

It's actually in the realms of acceptable for all channels, just found out this is a national problem at night, with access to Twitch, Twitter etc getting hit hard.

Yeah but a national DNS  issue aint going to cause you post RS issues-= might be worth revisiting what's going on with that.National FECS issue might do but Ive never seen one of those.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

An airburst nuclear bomb would cause national FEC issues!

Kippies has it right.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I was just assuming since Post-RS errors (and Pre-RS) are quickly building during at night when the problems happen, that this is also going to happen to others affected which seems to be up and down the UK.

Majide!
0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There does seem to be something happening in certain areas over the past few days with intermittent loss of access to many websites in the middle of the night. 

I'm not sure if it's a DNS problem but when it occurs trace routes only make it to the second hop (usually an IP staring with 10 and ending in .1) and don't reach the core network (usually hop 3). I haven't been affected so it's not affecting everyone but there is quite a lot about it in the Speed forum. 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If it’s happening in various areas perhaps VM are doing some internal network reorganisation overnight.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi DABhand

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and it seems you are affected by fault ref F006573586

for SNR and FECS . This has now been resolved and the connection is looking good from this side.

If you are still having trouble let us know and we will be happy to take a look for you.

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos