cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g wifi poor and intermittent

jord001
Tuning in

Hello everyone, I have a hub 3 and everything was great at first. Its been installed for several months now and I am having terrible issues with 5g either with a super low signal or vanishing all together. When its working its fast but the low signal makes some devices swap to 2g which has a stronger signal and is more stable but obviously not as fast. 

I am only 12 feet away from the hub with a wall in between. 

Using a wifi analyser I have tried changing the channel that 5g is broadcasting on so its not competing with other signals but this doesn't seem to make much difference. Still poor, 1 bar of signal most of the time, then occasionally I will get full wifi bars for a few seconds then back to 1 bar sometimes 2 bars for a while if I am lucky. 

I've cold rebooted several times and nothing seems to improve the signal.  Is 5g on the hub failing? Do I need a new hub?  

Help appreciated

Regards

Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jord001,

Thank you for confirming your details with me over Private Message!

I have been able to book in your appointment for the first available time slot and amended it as you requested. I have confirmed details of this via PM.

You can keep track of your appointment via your online account, where you can manage the visit if necessary.

Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further help going forward.

Thank you! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @jord001,

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry for the issues with your internet.

I was not able to locate your account using your forums details, can you please tell me if you are having issues with the wired connection also?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley, I can send my account details if needed. I have not used my virgin media email account. 

I have 2 wired devices, one is a PC and the other is a printer, no issues with them. 

It's the 5g wifi signal, most of the time its only got 1 or 2 bars on the wifi icon, either on the laptop, mobile phone or iPad. 2g usually has a full signal but is much slower than 5g.  5g speed is good when its working however the signal drops regularly to the point where 2g connects. I have tried a cold boot on the router on several occasions and this does nothing to help, still the same issue of low signal on 5g and reasonable to good signal on 2g. I have also tried changing the channel the wifi is broadcasting on, this also does nothing to boost the signal.

When the router was originally installed and setup the signal was good, it has diminished over time to the point where we are now. 

Regards

Lee

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jord001,

Thank you for coming back to us and providing us with more details in regards to your ongoing issue. I was able to locate your account and run some further checks for you.

By checking your upstream and downstream power levels, I can see that there are some problems with your downstream, as your stats are out of spec. This could be impacting your connection and causing several issues. As we're unable to resolve this issue remotely, we would have to arrange for a technician to come out to your property. 

I will send you a Private Message to confirm some details, so we can have this booked in for you. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jord001,

Thank you for confirming your details with me over Private Message!

I have been able to book in your appointment for the first available time slot and amended it as you requested. I have confirmed details of this via PM.

You can keep track of your appointment via your online account, where you can manage the visit if necessary.

Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further help going forward.

Thank you! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Hi Paulina, Just to let you know the engineer has been and there were some problems which he has fixed, however the signal is still poor.  I still only have 1 bar of signal on 5G where I should have 3 bars (full) at the distance I am from the router. The engineer told me that virgin can send me a free wifi extender so I will have good signal around my house, is this possible please? or can you forward this to the relevant team who can? Thankyou for all your help.

Regards

Lee

UPDATE: To all with the same issue

After the engineer saying the signal is poor I contacted Virgin again to ask about wifi extenders as this would probably cure the poor signal.

ANSWER! on my package I would have to pay per month for the wifi extender! its already close to £100 and I havent got the best package. Ripoff VM

Sorry to hear you feel this way jord001, depending on the package you're on the Pod's may be chargeable. You can find out more about this on our website and here

Rob

They are chargeable for my package Rob and considering its to fix poor equipment its a bit of a mickey take. My bill is close to £100 now.