Menu
Highlighted
mcguckind
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

5g not working

Hi

up to last week i had a super set up, vivid 200, tv's tablets and computers all connecting wirelessly via 5g.  tv's streaming in 4K

nothing in my setup has changed, but now after about 30 mins 5g does not work, you can connect to it (iPad) but it says there is no internet connection. 2g however continues to work

I have tried restarting and factory reset but nothing works.

as i live alone there is only ever one device connecting

But having been used to 5g 4k streaming 2g is somewhat frustrating, and moving multi Gb files from computer to computer is terrible

thanks in anticipation of your reply

david

0 Kudos
greeniegirl
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5g not working

Afternoon

Connection issues is so frustrating.  If everything worked fine until recently I would log into your router and change the wifi channel on the 5ghz and see if you can get a connection as you have multiple wifi channels within your router and literally could just be interference.

5ghz is a faster frequency but for range 2.4ghz is the preferred one.  I know what your saying about preferring the 5ghz but due to so many devices connecting wifi these days you could just be picking up interference from neighbours equipment.  Try the channel change within the hub and see if this helps.

Goodluck

I am a virginmedia employee but all opinions are my own.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi mcguckind,

I'm really sorry about your poor WiFi performance, though glad you've given us a chance to help Smiley Happy

In fact I'm surprised you're not having more problems with your connection overall. My tests indicate:

• Low modem SNR
  • High upstream power levels
  • Very very high number of T3 timeouts

I'd like an engineer to take a look at this please, so reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll schedule an appointment for you.

Jen
Forum Team

mcguckind
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Folks

After a speedy reply from the forum team, an engineer was dispatched and arrived this morning at 8.01am (the window was 8-12)

my old modem was faulty and a new superhub 3 was connected

After the engineer tested everything  quite a few times, i am now back as good as new

I have been a virginmedia customer for 20 years, and this is only the 3rd time i have needed a callout

and i have to say the service is excellent

thankyou

David

0 Kudos
anglofinn
Just joined
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Forum Team, 

Can you arrange for an engineer to visit me too as I have the same issue with the 5G connection, its obviously a fault with the router.  The helpline were absolutely useless!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Koppitericey
Just joined
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same problem can you arrange for an engineer to contact me please. I am also having WiFi security issues when logging in with iPhone. I have reset the superhub2 settings twice now but I keep getting security messages. I also get regular messages saying the password for 5g is incorrect. The helpline is not very helpful.
0 Kudos
GRC
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I seem to be having similar issues (coincidentally) since I changed my BB package to reduce the speed (and price) a little. I have had stable 2.4 and 5G connectivity for absolutely ages (years) but since receiving the new V6 TV box and downgrading the BB speed keep losing 5G (2.4G seems to be unaffected).

I can re-boot the router or disable and then enable 5G and it comes back for a while.  Trouble is the V6 loses connectivity and the only way to get that back is a power off (at the wall) and back on.

All rather frustrating.

Any help welcomed.

Gary

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

One easy change is to separate the 2g and 5g channels by renaming them.  It can confuse some wifi kit if they have the same name.  A simple _2 and _5 to the end of each name could make all the difference.

GRC
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - did that when I first got the router. Also, forgot to say that nothing has changed in our house for at least a year (new phones) apart from the service change and new V6 box. And the router has been de and re-powered since this problem surfaced about 4 weeks ago.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Nat_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry to hear about this GRC,

I've located your details and everything appears to be within range at the moment.

Have you tried Changing your Virgin Media Hub's wireless channel at all?

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos