cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Ghz network dissapeared for certain devices...?!

phluxm
Joining in

Hi all, thanks for your help. I've got a little mystery with my router that Virgin Media staff could not help with at all on the phone.

Previously I had a 2.4Ghz wifi signal and also a 5Ghz one. After using AirLink on my Oculus Quest 2 VR headset (connected to the 5G network), the 5G network suddenly disappeared - but only on some devices like my phone. Weirdly the Quest still lists the 5G wifi and can connect to it, but it's no longer listed on some of my other devices.

In my Super Hub Wireless Network Settings on the router there are settings for both bands, and they are both enabled. The 2 bands have different names, one ending _2G the other _5G.

Also when this happened, my PC, which is directly connected via Ethernet cable to the hub, changed it's network name to the 2G network name eg VMXXXXXX_2G. What's going on here? Why would the network my PC is connected to by ethernet change it's name?

Is it possible the Quest has locked the 5G wifi and is preventing other devices from connecting to it??

Why would a phone that previously listed the 5G network suddenly stop listing it? Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,

Ben

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It is an odd one. I think the first thing to do is a pinhole reset of the SH2 as below and see if that sorts it out. You will have to go into the settings and rename the 2 bands and passwords to what they were before. It is possible that the old SH2 is starting to develop wif issues - that has been reported in the past on here. I also have an old SH2 - but it has always been in modem mode with my own router and wireless equipment - on reason being to circumvent precisely these sorts of issues.

If is still a problem you will have to call it in and convince them its faulty for a replacement - I suspect that will be a "challenge" as VM dont actully "guarantee" wifi and you will have to convince them its faulty. A VM person will pick this up here in a day or two and may be able to take a deeper look.

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Has your PC got WiFi as well as an Ethernet connection? Perhaps it is jumping between the two. My Mac mini can have WiFi and Ethernet both active at the same time and also use both together. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

No it's just connected via the ethernet cable. I renamed both the 2G and 5G bands which are both visible on some devices, but my PC has stayed named as VMXXXXXX_2G.... it's an ethernet connection so that seems fine aside from being renamed. I'm still seeing that the 5G band is not listed on some devices it was previously though...