cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Ghz changed its SSID

volts
On our wavelength

It seems overnight the SSID name for the 5Ghz band changed its name from its default to just a single number 1. Obviously those devices who connect to it wouldn't.

The 5Ghz band was still active but with the SSID change i didnt recognise it nor did any of my devices.

The 2.5Ghz band was unaffected.

Fixed by resetting the SSID to its normal name.Just posting to see if it has happened to others.

14 REPLIES 14

This is an update to my previous post about my 5GHz SSID changing itself to "1" (and my 2.4GHz switching itself off). I thought if my 5GHz wants to be known as "1" I'll leave it be, and I reconnect all my devices. But 5 days later it changed itself back to the original SSID. It's good for people to have a mind of their own but I'm not convinced routers should have this ability.

Hi @Russ_B, thanks for your reply here in the community.

It's very strange that your SSID renamed itself back to the standard 5ghz one for you, but I'm glad this has now been resolved.

Please let us know if you need any further help in the meantime but if not, take care.

Many thanks

Tom_W

This happened to me yesterday, 

Virgin Media please confirm is this a bug in the firmware  ? and is this a security risk  ?

regards,

CP

It has been reported here often enough that VM are certainly aware of the issue, but deep down, VM's management culture is a bit like Bojo, they can never admit fault.  If they admit it is a bug, they put themselves under pressure to fix it, but whilst it remains unadmitted they don't commit themselves to anything. 

In terms of security, no difference.  Most consumer wifi has more security holes than Swiss cheese, due to the nature of the protocols and security involved.  It doesn't matter what the SSID is, it can still be easily detected and hacked by those with the skills and equipment to do so.  In practice, foreign state sponsored hackers are unlikely to be targeting you unless you're already hacking them (in which case you wouldn't be asking questions here), the UK's security services can just ask VM for all and any data on you and your activity, and non-state hackers will simply do a "war drive" looking for completely unsecured wifi to piggy back on.

There is a solution to the problem of the hub losing or randomly changing settings, and that's to buy your own router or mesh and run the hub in modem mode.  Do that, and you get better wifi, better control, probably better security, and best of all, VM can't beggar up the settings through existing faulty firmware, or through the new bugs that routinely arise when they try and fix an existing fault.

Hi CP, thank you for posting to bring this to our attention. This is not a security risk, as outlined by Andrew above.

Sorry to hear this also happened for you - has this now been resolved for you?

It seems a pinhole reset is the best fix for you to try if this is still ongoing. 

Let us know how you get on! All the best. 

Molly