cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Ghz changed its SSID

volts
On our wavelength

It seems overnight the SSID name for the 5Ghz band changed its name from its default to just a single number 1. Obviously those devices who connect to it wouldn't.

The 5Ghz band was still active but with the SSID change i didnt recognise it nor did any of my devices.

The 2.5Ghz band was unaffected.

Fixed by resetting the SSID to its normal name.Just posting to see if it has happened to others.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sophist
Trouble shooter

@volts wrote:

It seems overnight the SSID name for the 5Ghz band changed its name from its default to just a single number 1. Obviously those devices who connect to it wouldn't.

The 5Ghz band was still active but with the SSID change i didnt recognise it nor did any of my devices.

Fixed by resetting the SSID to its normal name.Just posting to see if it has happened to others.

Yes - there have been a few posts recently about this around here, so you're not alone.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

sophist
Trouble shooter

@volts wrote:

Yes - there have been a few posts recently about this around here, so you're not alone.

conman33158
Super solver

We had a power cut the other day for about 3 hours due to a digger ripping up a cable from the ground. Once the power came back on and my router decided to switch from modem mode to router mode and had different SSID's and was unable to access the hub as the password and default password wouldn't work. I ended up doing a hard reset with the pinhole at the back of the hub and everything came back to normal, popped it back into modem mode and away she went 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

Elmozach
Joining in

Hi, I recently got this too. I have my 2GHZ disabled, and just the 5GHZ enabled, somewhere during today my WIFI cut out, and renamed the SSID to "1". This seems like a huge security issue? surely its not just an error. I checked the router logs though and no unsuccessful logins or successful ones. Confusing/concerning.

@Elmozach wrote:

Hi, I recently got this too. I have my 2GHZ disabled, and just the 5GHZ enabled, somewhere during today my WIFI cut out, and renamed the SSID to "1". This seems like a huge security issue? surely its not just an error. I checked the router logs though and no unsuccessful logins or successful ones. Confusing/concerning.

It’s merely a bug in the firmware. I think “hackers” have better things to do than changing peoples SSID’s to single characters. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I have been having this issue lately with the most recent FW update for the SH3.

I generally operate with 2.4g off, the 2.4g is now randomly on. The 5g has reset to on occasion match the 2.4g SSID or else "1". Then the guest SSID randomly turns on when it has been off since day1.

The other strange thing I notice is that after resetting all config, if I've just got 5g turned on and go to the Wifi security page. I cannot set the password or hide/enable SSID for 5g individually. The 5g options are greyed out, I can set the 2.4g values which are then linked to the 5g.

The same has happened to mine overnight.

2.4G and 5G SSID's were set with different names (ending 2G/5G) and this morning the 5G SSID has changed to to be the same as the 2G SSID and I can no longer change the password for the 5G broadcast. Its unclear if this is some effort to improve Smart WiFi but it would be nice to have some warning as all the devices that were previously connected to the 5G signal were disconnected this morning (including some security devices) so I was not best pleased.

Even more strangely... no change in firmware. So is this a bug? Or something else? 

@narc1999 wrote:

The same has happened to mine overnight.

2.4G and 5G SSID's were set with different names (ending 2G/5G) and this morning the 5G SSID has changed to to be the same as the 2G SSID and I can no longer change the password for the 5G broadcast. Its unclear if this is some effort to improve Smart WiFi but it would be nice to have some warning as all the devices that were previously connected to the 5G signal were disconnected this morning (including some security devices) so I was not best pleased.

Even more strangely... no change in firmware. So is this a bug? Or something else? 

You can change split them by disabling the channel optimisation settings.

But, seeing as you are involved in "other projects" I would leave the settings be...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I have just experienced exactly the same issue (2.4GHz switching itself off, and 5GHz SSID changing to the number 1), so the bug is still active in Feb 2022.

I suspect the problem was triggered by a temporary dropout in the Virgin network. 

The WiFi passwords didn't change however in my case. 

Hi Russ_B,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you've had some issues with your SSID.

Have you tried a pin hole reset? This usually resolves the issue.

Alex_Rm