cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Ghz Network not working

catrinaduffy2
Tuning in

Hi I am having issues with the 5ghz network on my Super Hub 3.

I am renamed my networks so I know which is 2g and 5g, however recently the 5g network will constantly drop internet connectivity. The 2g network stays connected to the internet but will sometimes see drops from the internet.

We have also been having an issue with our Hub since we got it where whenever the hub loses power for whatever reason it factory resets and I have to go back in and change the network SSID's and passwords, every single time. Not sure these are related but still very annoying.

Anyone know anyway to solve these issues?

Thanks in advance!

25 REPLIES 25

unfortunately this did not help, also, the box is factory resetting itself every few hours already. it is tiring and irksome. but thank you for your suggestion!

this is a great idea. Any suggestions? x

Martyb1987
Just joined

Can anyone help over a year ago had to split my WiFi for smart plugs as would only work on 2.4ghz and over the last few days my 5ghz is dropping all the time anyone know a fix or how to resolve this cheers

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It may be a firmware update "bug".

I know a fix that will resolve it. Put the Hub into modem mode and use your own better quality wireless equipment 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I've tryed everything, cannot get on 5ghz what so ever, tryed wired , WiFi, changed name/channel, different things ie Xbox, laptop, put it on manual, nowhere does it ever give me an option to chose. I am ment to get 100mb highest IV had is 49mb, called dozens of times.

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @Dagdean

Welcome back to our Community, sorry that you're having some issues with your WiFi and one of your frequencies. With the hub you have, this should be automatic - is there a reason you wish to manually connect some devices to that particular frequency? 

I can see that you have contacted us in the week and we made some manual adjustments - how have things been since we did that with you? 

Sorry that you're also having some speed issues - what speeds are you getting over a direct wired connection to a PC or Laptop? I can see that you last rebooted around 15 hours ago. There are no known area issues listed at the time of writing and no errors showing either,. 

All your signal levels are where they should be for your package and equipment. 

Katie - Forum Team

Hi Gareth

My wifi has been erratic for some time (months). erratic speed ranging between 30 and 100. The range also seems to be less that before.

Today I rebooted the router and afterwards none of my devices (TV, Phones, laptops, alexa) will connect to the 2G or 5G wifi option even though all devices show the signal to be at full strength (3 bars).  However there are two exceptions, my iPhone will connect to the 2G and also my laptop, but even that takes a few minutes.

Alexa actually says - 'there's something wrong with the router'

The router seems to have been underperforming for months now, can you help, of do I need an engineer. I've tried the Virgin phone line and the chatline 9I don't want to talk to a 'Bot' that can't answer my question, the waiting time is ridiculous and the help is less than good

Please advise me on what to do

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with your WiFi connection and speeds of your broadband. I'm happy to take a look in to things but I've been unable to locate your account via your forum credentials. I will need to confirm some information with you in order for me to proceed with checks. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Brian, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message with your information. 

I've had a look at your account and Hub settings and things are looking good. All power levels and signal levels are all within optimal range. There are no timeouts recorded and the uptime looks good too. There is nothing to suggest there is an area fault now either. 

For the WiFi, these links can help to optimise and improve your network: 

As for the TV service issues you mentioned in private message, it does look like there are some low input levels. We'll need an engineer for this to be resolved. I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM Just go to My Account > Track your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi BrianF1954, 

Thanks for your private message. We only need to use private message if we can swapping any account specific information. Anything like you're mentioned can be asked in the Community 🙂

If you have ordered WiFi pods then in order for them to work, the Smart WiFi will need to be on. If you're turning this off and splitting the bands then they won't work. 

I would wait for the pods to arrive to see if these do improve things with leaving things as they are. The bands should swap over automatically however if it doesn't, try turning the WiFi off on the device, then back on and it should connect to the best band. 

If you still have an issue, try separating the bands and go from there. 

Pop back here to let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team