cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Ghz Network not working

catrinaduffy2
Tuning in

Hi I am having issues with the 5ghz network on my Super Hub 3.

I am renamed my networks so I know which is 2g and 5g, however recently the 5g network will constantly drop internet connectivity. The 2g network stays connected to the internet but will sometimes see drops from the internet.

We have also been having an issue with our Hub since we got it where whenever the hub loses power for whatever reason it factory resets and I have to go back in and change the network SSID's and passwords, every single time. Not sure these are related but still very annoying.

Anyone know anyway to solve these issues?

Thanks in advance!

25 REPLIES 25

Dave_cq
Community elder

Try turning off the Intelligent / Smart WiFi feature in the hub's menus and see if that makes any difference.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already had this option disabled. Strange that it has worked fine for over a year until all of a sudden now keeps dropping connection, that and the constant resetting of the router settings is making me think the hub is faulty

Could be the Hub at fault, but repeated resets can also be a symptom of a cable connection problem or power connection problems. A guess on my part, its most likely an issue with the VM cable network, and that's something they'll need to fix.  In my view there's no point using the offshore "technical support" because they are useless, particularly if there's any opportunity to blame wifi, so hold on until the VM staff pick this message up.

In the meanwhile, if not already tried check the following - that the Hub 3 power supply is properly connected, all power leads fully pushed home, and if possible try a different wall socket.  Also check that the cable between the hub and wall is properly connected at either end and any nuts are fully done up (hand tight), that the cable itself isn't kinked, creased or damaged, and any VM cable on the outside of the building is similarly intact.

Just to explain the point about kinked and damaged cable - if somebody has inadvertently bent the cable too tightly, hit it with something heavy, or abrasively damaged the cable eg with a vacuum or on outside walls a strimmer, the cable can deform, that causes signal interference, and the very high frequencies that cable connections use can be badly affected.  I doubt this applies, but it is one of the few things you can check yourself.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello catrinaduffy2

Thanks for your post on our Community 

Sorry to hear about the connectivity issues that you are having 

I have had a quick check on your Hub and can see the upstream power levels are way out. 

This would need an engineer visit 

I will need to pass security through a private message though 

If you check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be fantastic

Gareth_L

Thank you Andruser

Gareth, I have replied to your private message. Thank you for getting in touch so quickly!

Thanks for getting back to me catrinaduffy2

The answers were spot on

Now we just need to find a time that suits you best for an engineer to come out 

Gareth_L

oh my god, please help me, too! 

I'm having this exact problem. I started with this issue in June, then in Nov my service went out, it only got fixed yesterday (it took 5 months for one cable replacement) and now my 2.5ghz and 5ghz networks aren't working and in less than a day of having my hub back its rebooted and reset 4 times!!! I'm at my wits end with this service. Genuinely don't know what to do. 

For now I've disabled the 5ghz option and it seems to be stable enough to write this message. Managed to do this by etherent - no wireless connection would allow to go to admin. in fact, no wireless options would connect to the hub at all. 

Any help at all would be so appreciated, like I said, im at my actual wits end. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and have the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Factory reset the hub

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi