cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GHz network disappeared

random123
Joining in

Hi,

2 weeks ago my 5GHz network disappeared. I've seen similar posts but nothing solved my problem.

I've tried factory reset, and from the router settings, I can see the 5GHz network is on. I'm using Hub 3.

I've tried contacting Virgin many times, and it was impossible.

Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name [SSID] > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name [SSID] > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub then reboot using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your Wi-Fi again.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
It's possible it has combined with the 2.4Ghz band. Split the band names and you can differentiate between the two and connect to the one you want.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks for your reply Alessandro, how can I split the band names?

Login to the hubs admin page and go to the wireless tab and change the names of the bands to different names 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

@random123 wrote:

Thanks for your reply Alessandro, how can I split the band names?

Read Post #2.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

apps78
On our wavelength

This happens to me a lot now. I go into the admin page and change the name of the 5GHz network and it works fine for a while then it resets itself back to the 2.4 and 5GHz networks having the same name.  This is annoying as we need to use the 5GHz network to have reliable Zoom/Teams calls for work.  Any suggestions to help make it stick?  

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM router mode owns you and does what it likes or you can use modem mode and have your own router with 1Gb ports that works.

Or you can go round and round going no where
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi apps78,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about this. I'm unsure as to why that is happening.

Does anyone have the Virgin Media Connect App downloaded on a handset? If so do they use the black spot feature to update the WiFi settings?

^Martin

apps78
On our wavelength

Hi, no, nobody in the house has any such apps.