Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

5GHz Signal Dropping Out on Hub 3

Hi,

I have lost my 5G Wireless signal.  This happened a couple of weeks ago, and an online assistant restored it. Now it has happened again.  One issue both times was that both the 2.4 g and the 5g  service are showing with a "-2G" suffix in Virgin Media Connect app.  This is confusing.

I have checked the Modem advanced settings, and both 2,4g and 5g are enabled.  Can't connect to 5G.  This is annoying as some devices (e.g. Amazon Fire Stick) are 'freezing', rendering them almost unusable.  I have a Hub 3.

Any Help would be most welcome.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 5GHz Signal Dropping Out on Hub 3

Log out of then bin the connect app.

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it might not fix your problem but will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Mike,

That seems to have done the trick.

Many Thanks,

Peter.

Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If you want to change any Hub settings use the Hub GUI.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos