cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G no longer available on devices

Swingfog
Joining in

I have lost 5G WI-FI as an option on all devices & only see 2G as an optionI. Also my internet speed has appeared to slow down over the last few weeks!

9 REPLIES 9

lotharmat
Community elder
What Hub is it?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Chris_J
On our wavelength

I'm having the same loss i.e. no 5ghz Wi-Fi band,  which I discovered after I couldn't logon to the Wi-Fi, turned out that for some reason my passwords had changed on the 2.4ghz band, which I've reset, but, as mentioned, no 5ghz band or anywhere to configure! So, is this due to another upgrade to HUB 3 which has screwed things up, again?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What do you see within the admin UI?

When the WiFi bands are merged on the Hub 3 (and 4), the 5Ghz options should still show in the Advanced settings for Wireless

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Chris_J So, is this due to another upgrade to HUB 3 which has screwed things up, again?

Very possibly.  There's been a range of new faults introduced by revisions to Hub 3 and 4 firmware, and given that buggy firmware has been an issue for a good few years now, and each revision seems to bring some new unintended delight, I can only conclude that there is an absence of any form of effective change control and testing.  I won't bother listing the ones I've been aware of, suffice to say that's probably a tiny subset of the full complement of bugs, and some of them are so blatant that a reasonable observer might have to assume there was no testing.

At least running the hub in modem mode means I have much better wifi than the hub offers at best, and I'm largely insulated from VM's inept meddling with the firmware, along with unrequested interference in wifi settings.  I'd suggest that as a good approach to anybody who can afford to buy their own mesh or router.

Chris_J
On our wavelength

I've not got any 5ghz settings in the "Advanced Settings" any more, used to have!

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Swingfog

Thanks for taking the time to raise the issue with the 5Ghz wireless network option not being available, we appreciate the confusion and concern this can cause. Welcome to the forum.

From looking at the account and settings we can see the 5ghz band has been disabled, can you log into the Hub using a browser, in the address bar can you type 192.168.0.1. It will then ask you for a password, this is unique to yourself and located on the sticker with your Wi-Fi network password on it (usually below it)

From there you should be able to access the advanced settings where you should be able to see if the 5Ghz is enabled or disabled, you should then be able to reverse this (so enable it if it is currently disable)

Please let us know if this works?

Rob

Hello Chris_J

Thanks for posting in regards to the 5Ghz not showing on your wireless network/hub, we can understand the concern this can cause and appreciate you making us aware of this.

From looking at your connection it shows that both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are both active on your hub at this time. Has the issue been resolved since your last post?

If not, can you follow these instruction, can you log into the Hub using a browser, in the address bar can you type 192.168.0.1. It will then ask you for a password, this is unique to yourself and located on the sticker with your Wi-Fi network password on it (usually below it)

Let us know if you need us further.

Rob

mart1000
Joining in

I had this same issue last night. On checking settings in the router I found that the SSID of the 5G signal had changed from what I had set it to, back to default. The default name was VM followed by some number or other.

If this is the same for you, simply rename your 5G signal to what it was before and your devices should reconnect.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing that advice, mart1000.