cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G WiFi disappeared even though hub says it’s enabled

Mitchkar
Joining in

Hi our broadband has been very unreliable lately and today it got really bad. I ended up having to do a factory reset on the router but now my 5G WiFi has disappeared from all devices. I’ve logged into the router and 5G is enabled but on devices it’s just not showing as an option to select. Can you help me as it’s driving me mad!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yumeuz
On our wavelength

This is exactly what happened to our hub yesterday. The 5G network had been renamed to the same name as the 2.4GHz network - meaning nothing could connect via 5G. 

To fix this, log into your Hub and go to Advanced > Wireless > Security and check the names of each SSID. If they are the same, rename the 5G back to what it was. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Check that the 5 GHz network has not renamed itself - there's a bug in the hub firmware that does that occasionally.  If that applies, changing it back will (for a time) solve it.  Given the appalling quality of VM's hub firmware, you might want to consider putting it in modem mode and buying a router or mesh wifi setup so that VM's shonky wifi can be forgotten.  Buying a decent entry level router or mesh (£40-100) will solve wifi problems, but if there's broadband problems on the coax side of things those won't be solved by that.  Can you identify specific broadband issues, we can perhaps assist in sorting those out?

Yumeuz
On our wavelength

This is exactly what happened to our hub yesterday. The 5G network had been renamed to the same name as the 2.4GHz network - meaning nothing could connect via 5G. 

To fix this, log into your Hub and go to Advanced > Wireless > Security and check the names of each SSID. If they are the same, rename the 5G back to what it was. 

Also disable smart / intelligent wifi - this, I believe, can prevent the problem from re-occurring!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Mitchkar,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and sorry to hear that you've had some ongoing issues with your 5G WiFi for some time.

I can see that our Community members have been able to advise further on this issue.

Can you tell us if their advise has resolved the issue, or do you need further assistance?

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs