Menu
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

4K Streaming impact on BQM

My BQM has been a bit patchy over the last few months making me suspect the congestion in my area is getting a little worse

However we recently got a 4K TV as our main TV - and have noticed that 4K streams have a large impact on the BQM  - though not always 

• We are on VIVID 200, power levels look OK, Shub3 is in modem mode with Asus AC86U, on board TV apps used for streaming with TV connected by wire (Sony Android TV)
  • Asus CPU's are running slightly higher at up to 10% and the odd spike higher than that  when streaming in 4K HDR.  Have not checked whether kids notice any impact on gaming latency but router is set to auto Game QoS
  • the patterns for the different services look a little different e.g. Goole Play lower overall than Prime, and Prime looks more saw-toothed. Maybe this is expected due to different apps, compression and formats etc.  We do have Netflix but didn't watch that in 4K yesterday so is not shown on the BQM but will see what that looks like

Is this expected  / normal - but if so why are there periods of "normal" BQM when watching 4K.  We did sometimes have spikes at peak times before this with ordinary HD streaming  / gaming etc. 

BQM 4K streaming.png

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4K Streaming impact on BQM

You might need to setup the QoS manually but the type of QoS by VM when there is high congestion may have a impact as there is no QoS in the upstream on the modem when there is limited upstream so you buffer that way as for the downstream thats done before it gets to the modem and if the QoS is bad their you buffer up their.

Try limiting the download to 190Mb and upload to 5.5Mb11.5Mb then run this speed test.
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

The QoS done by the Asus could also be bad such that if you do a download and upload at the same time to spike the latency.

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK will give that try a try tomorrow when I've got a bit more time. Looks like I would need to set ps4's as high priority but issue is one of them also uses the PS4 for watching netflix/prime which I always thought was not ideal to prioritise the device itself versus auto game traffic

Will be interesting to see if it makes a difference as would assume I'm hitting maybe 30-60 download max on a 200 connection

Edit - looks like I can set bandwidth on auto Qos so will try that and report back

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tried manual bandwidth but something weird in the Asus QoS rules going on - all low scores are when bandwidth is limited manually, 200+ on auto

speedtestqos.PNG

auto qos.PNGmanual qos.PNG

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You got Download and Upload the wrong way round.

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Doh! Will have another go, though currently watching a 4k Hdr series on amazon and BQM looks normal so am guessing it is peak utilisation in my area, though will re try bandwidth limittbe right way round  to see if it helps at peak times

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

BQM is still the same on 4k streams as shown at 12pm  - QoS is now set to 18 up and 195 down with gaming prioritised so hopefully this isn't having an impact on the kids gaming4k sttream july 19.png 

0 Kudos