Menu
haselhurst
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

404 Errors On Router Admin Screen, Wrong Admin Screen Loads, DHCP Issues

Warning: The following will sound a little crazy.

My internet went down a few weeks ago for a number of hours and since then I've had some really strange and unusual issues going on.

1. When I log onto my router (Superhub 2AC) it sometimes brings up a login page for a Superhub 3 (which I don't have). If I refresh the page a few times I'll eventually get my Superhub 2AC login page that I'm used to and I can, generally, log in fine (unless issue 2 occurs).

2. When clicking on links on the router's admin page, I will randomly get 404 errors. These obviously aren't legitimate 404 errors, as I can refresh the page a few times and the page will then correctly load.

3. DHCP is disabled on my router, as I have a raspberry pi which handles DHCP leases. Regardless of this, some of my devices are picking up IP addresses outside of the range I have specified, with Virgin Media DNS entries, which tells me that the IP's for some devices are being assigned by the router rather than from my other DHCP server (yes, DHCP is disabled on my router).

Any help/suggestions/advice from anyone would be appreciated before I pull out what if left of my hair.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 404 Errors On Router Admin Screen, Wrong Admin Screen Loads, DHCP Issues

A bit of a stab in the dark but you don’t happen to be using any Powerline adapters do you?

0 Kudos
haselhurst
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I do have powerline adapters. I hadn't even considered that they could be part of the issue to be honest.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you secure your adapters the problem will go away.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
haselhurst
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much - I reset the private network name on the adapters and then repaired them which has resolved issues 1 and 2.

Issue 3 I've solved by increasing the range of IPs that my DHCP server can dish out to include the ones which are outside of what was previously allowed. A quick disconnect and reconnect of the wifi on these devices and they're getting the correct DNS records now.

Would you be able to provide any further info on why I had these issues (1 and 2) and how the powerline adapter could be responsible - I can't comprehend it.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The adapters have a default password, so if your neighbour has the same make of adapter and is on a shared power supply as happens with some apartment blocks then both of you will be on the same network. By securing your adapters you now have an encrypted password and this is why it's now fine.

--
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As for DHCP: I suspect that it was your neigbour's hub which was handing out IP addresses, this will no longer be a problem as you are now on a different network.

--