cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

350mb Distance for wifi poor and won’t stream multiple devices

Neza316
Tuning in

I have had this wifi for almost 2 month now and nobody can stay on the wifi, it goes poor and struggle to reach bedrooms upstairs. I have tried resetting it, turning it on and off, unplugging and leaving it for 5 minutes and nothing seems to work. It simply goes back to its poor original self. 

I’ve recently upgraded to 350mb as it thought it was the 25mb however it has improved nothing . It sometimes can’t reach my fridge which is in the same room. 
our kids are going mental as they were promised a much better Wifi than sky and now they’re on their 4g cause of the signal issues. I run test and it says all is fine however this is not the case 

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is all ok on devices connected by ethernet cables?

What devices are struggling over wifi?   Anyone gaming ought really to do it on a computer/console connected to the Hub by ethernet cable

My standard reply if they are wifi only issues is...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location.

If you arent sure how to do this - post back and ask

Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Neza316 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am really sorry to hear of the WiFi connection issues you're having.  I have located your account from here and we need to send a tech.  I am going to send you a private message to confirm some details.

Regards

Lee

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Neza316, thanks for getting back to me in PM.

I've booked the first available technician to attend your property.  You can view and amend the appointment here.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Lee nobody will be at the property tomorrow , how can I rearrange ? 

Hi Neza316, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

We're sorry to hear the appointment booked wasn't suitable. I can see since posting that you called the team and sorted a replacement visit. 

You are able to reschedule the appointment online through My VM here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app

Keep us posted on how the visit goes. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs