cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

350M download speeds

ScouseP
Tuning in

Hi,

We've very recently moved up to a 350M service (previous was 200M). Before, we were always getting a steady 200 - 220 download, both wired and wireless. Since the 350M connection was activated (new Hub3) the speeds have stuck at around the 250 mark. Upload speeds are consistent with a 350 connection (at around 36). I have conducted tests on the Hub, both in router and modem mode, using directly wired connections to my mac. As well as wireless connections via my own router (hub in modem mode). In ALL circumstances the results remain the same 250 download (max) and 36 upload. I have screenshots of the reports, from the hub. As well as speed tests in the various setups tested. Is there anyway to attach a document here, so I can share the results and submit to the forum's wisdom?

Cheers

48 REPLIES 48

Hey @ScouseP,

Thanks for taking the time to post your connection issues on our forums.

Please let us know how it goes over the week and we look forward to your update at the weekend. 

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi All,

Finally got around to performing some new tests, today. Tests run as follows:

(a) HUB in ROUTER mode, ethernet connection to Macbook

(b) HUB in MODEM mode, ethernet connection to Macbook

(c) HUB in MODEM mode wireless connection via ASUS router (2.4Ghz)

(d) HUB in MODEM mode wireless connection via ASUS router (5.1Ghz)

Results:

(a) 378.8 avg download / 37.46 avg upload

(b) 381.8 avg download / 33.7 avg upload

(c) 79.56 avg download / 37.02 avg upload

(d) 326.4 avg download / 36.66 avg upload

So, clearly the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi is significantly worse since the switch over from 200M to 350M (Hub 2 to Hub 3). And, just as a reminder, on the older Hub we were consistently getting 200Mbits download and 20Mbits upload regardless of which Wi-Fi we used. I have screenshots of all of the router config screens, if anyone needs them. But it seems clear that Wi-Fi suffers once the Hub is in modem mode. I don't think it's a channel congestion problem as the upstream seems to be hitting maximum in any mode. Any suggestions are most welcome. 

For the record I'm using the ASUS GT-AX11000 as the main router, with one ASUS AX-6000 working as an AI Mesh node.

Thanks

Frank 

Thank you for that information ScouseP.

Can you confirm if you were able to the test the Virgin Media hub 2ghz WiFi connection and see what the speed was on that?

^Martin

No, I haven't setup the Wi-Fi on the HUB3 as I've no intention of using it as the router. All Wi-Fi is configured on my ASUS router.

Thanks,

Frank

I can certainly appreciate that. The reasons I ask to check this is so that we can check to see if the could be the 3rd party router at fault. 

^Martin

Hi Martin,

Bearing in mind that the performance with the older M200 capable hub, in conjunction with my ASUS router was always solid. 220Mbps downstream versus 20Mbits upstream. Regardless of connection (ethernet / wireless). I don't think that the problem is specific to my router. However, I spent the whole of yesterday trying various configuration changes to it. None of which made any difference to overall performance. 

I've conducted more tests, using three different speed testers (ookla, fast.com and sam knows). Each connection tested three times for an average. Results vary widely between testing tools - which just makes the whole exercise even more frustrating. But, overall, upstream connections are fine. Downstream..that's another story:

MODEM MODE (Ethernet connection to Hub)

Ookla average 212.63 down ; 36.91 up

Fast.com average 220 down ; 34.67 up

Sam Knows average 381 down ; 37.27 up

MODEM MODE (2.4Ghz Wireless connection to Hub)

Ookla average 90.09 down ; 36.31 up

Fast.com average 89.33 down ; 33.00 up

Sam Knows average 81.90 down ; 35.10 up

MODEM MODE (5Ghz Wireless connection to Hub)

Ookla average 236.03 down ; 36.82 up

Fast.com average 216.67 down ; 36.00 up

Sam Knows average 369.33 down ; 38.03 up

If anyone knows anything else that can be configured on the Hub side, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Frank

Hi ScouseP,

If you are using a separate WiFi router there's not much we can do in regards to trouble shooting.

If you pop the hub back into router mode we can then take a look.

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex,

I've had the HUB in router mode, several times. And I've posted the connection speed results, both wired and wireless. The only thing being that ALL wireless tests have been run with the hub in modem mode, because this is how I want it to be. I've been doing a lot of tests, using various configurations in order to see whether the problem is related to my router or not. Advice seems to be that, for a wireless mesh connection, such as my own, I should not be mixing a Tri-Band primary router with a Dual-band Mesh node. And so, to rule THAT out as a problem I have sold my Dual-Band router and purchased another Tri-band. It's due to arrive on Friday. I plan to spend Saturday setting the whole thing up, again. And, in that case I WILL try ALL tests as follows:

HUB 3 in ROUTER mode - Ethernet connection to client Macbook

HUB 3 in ROUTER mode - with HUB Wi-Fi enabled - Wi-Fi connection to Macbook (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz tested separately)

HUB 3 in MODEM mode - Ethernet connection to client Macbook

HUB 3 in MODEM mode - Wi-Fi connection to Macbook via ASUS GT-AX11000 router

Wi-Fi tests will be conducted at three locations around the house - near to HUB and at two points where we work during the day (one upstairs, one down)

This will be the last time I conduct these tests as this issue has sucked up enough of my life 🙂

I'll post results on Sunday

Cheers

Frank

While I think on......

If anyone has any specific tests they want me to run, please let me know before Saturday 31st July.

Also, considering we have the 350M connection:

What dBmv figures should I be expecting to see for the downstream bonded channel? The figures seem to range between 2 - 4 (and points in between). While the upstream figures are much higher 38.6 to 40.3

Thanks

Frank

Thanks for coming back to us ScouseP,

For the upstream you'd be looking for between late 30's to mid 40's

For downstream you should expect to see between -6 to 10

Kindest regards,

David_Bn