cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 qam on 1 upload channel

metalmatt
Up to speed

I'm not sure if this is anything but getting different readings from channel 5 upstream on hub 3. Sometimes its 64qam then goes down to 32qam. I have looked on my monitor and cant see any spikes and I've noticed nothing in regards to performance. Any ideas why this happens?

Thanks for your help.

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

13660000937.5512064 qam3
24309999737.8512064 qam2
33009998537.3512064 qam4
44960001038512064 qam1
52360031736.5512032 qam9
6 REPLIES 6

IPFreely
Fibre optic

As a general rule noise on the network is higher the lower you go. That channel isn't clean enough to run at 64 QAM so has been lowered automatically to 32 QAM.

As long as it's not impacting your service it is okay, and if it's prolonged VM will pick up on it. How long it takes them to fix it who knows, but they've automated monitoring that'll see it.

The 23.6 MHz band is particularly prone to noise ingress (I think some DAB radio transmissions are in this range, so all it needs is a slightly dodgy cable joint somewhere). However DOCSIS is doing exactly what it is designed to do, which is, if necessary, downgrade a particular channel so to at least maintain a good connection rather than try to keep it running at 'full' speed and risk data corruption.

In theory, yes a degraded channel does imply a slower speed - BUT, the throughput of the channels as they are now, is far more than you are signed up to anyway. As you have found, a QAM drop on one or even two channels, probably doesn't cause any real-world issues at all.

Think of it like a pothole in the road, it's quite small and doesn't stop you from driving at 30 mph over it - it might be an issue at 90 mph, but you aren't allowed to, indeed can't, drive that fast down the road anyway - so is the pothole actually a problem? 

@VMUser1812 wrote:

The 23.6 MHz band is particularly prone to noise ingress (I think some DAB radio transmissions are in this range, so all it needs is a slightly dodgy cable joint somewhere).

Indeed - a quick search of http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/spectrum/fat.html shows a few things in the range 20.4 MHz - 26.8 MHz.

The dynamic modulation on SC-QAM isn't actually a part of DoCSIS, it's proprietary but very smart to use for obvious reasons. VM could even have enabled dynamic spectrum on some kit where the CMTS tries to avoid noise by moving upstream frequencies around however this is way more disruptive and I can't recall seeing anyone use it.

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @metalmatt 

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to see you are having hub issues.

I have had a look into your service and I can see some issues with your hub power levels. To best resolve this, we will have to book an engineer visit. Please look out for the purple envelope and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@VMUser1812 wrote:

The 23.6 MHz band is particularly prone to noise ingress (I think some DAB radio transmissions are in this range, so all it needs is a slightly dodgy cable joint somewhere).

DAB is broadcast around 170-240MHz so wouldn't affect upstream. 

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/audio-video/broadcast-audio/digital-radio-audio-broadcast... 

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Glad to hear this @metalmatt 

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help 🙂

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs