cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

300 ping

Abi1
Joining in

Hi, my son struggles to play any Xbox game because the WiFi in his room is so bad that there is no point! Please can someone help and give us a solution. We currently have 2 pods and modem 4 I was really hoping the pods would work but it’s made no difference 

10 REPLIES 10

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
run ethernet cable.
---------------------------------------------------------------

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Abi1 wrote:

Hi, my son struggles to play any Xbox game because the WiFi in his room is so bad that there is no point! Please can someone help and give us a solution. We currently have 2 pods and modem 4 I was really hoping the pods would work but it’s made no difference 

Where have you placed the pods?

They are designed to extend a good signal so if you've placed them in the rooms with bad coverage they won't help.

They need to be placed between the HUB and the area of bad coverage.

Upstairs all the bedrooms don’t have good WiFi but we don’t have any plugs in the landing so the 2 pods are in the kids bedrooms, WiFi works downstairs in the lounge where the modem is? Where would you put the pod?? Many thanks for replying to my question 

Ethernet cable from the lounge to my sons bedroom upstairs? How would you do that? Run cables up the stairs! I’m honestly being serious I don’t do technology it goes right over my head and I live with 2 teenagers who moan all day about the awful WiFi !

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM will not do it but you should be able to get someone to do it for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@Abi1 wrote:

Upstairs all the bedrooms don’t have good WiFi but we don’t have any plugs in the landing so the 2 pods are in the kids bedrooms, WiFi works downstairs in the lounge where the modem is? Where would you put the pod?? Many thanks for replying to my question 

You need to check for good coverage using a mobile or some other device, then place the pods in that area where they can still extend a good signal to the area of bad coverage.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pods are not magic, if they are in the same room as the target machine they will be receiving exactly the same signal as the target machine. Ideally they should be equal distance from the hub and the target machine.

It’s very easy to run Ethernet cable externally, easily heddle behind down pipes.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You have two choices...

1. Run an ethernet cable to the bedroom. 

2. Invest in a much better WiFi router or preferably a mesh system that will provide a better WiFi signal upstairs. There are many to choose from and at varying prices. You may get recommendations on here. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi, 

please can you tell me what a mesh system is? Many thanks