cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd Hub5 with same problem 🤬

ammy53
Joining in

I can’t believe I don’t see more posts about this. I’m on my 2nd Hub 5 which is showing the same exact issue as my first Hub.

I have approximately 40 devices connected to my hub at any given time. All ports in use and remaining via Wi-Fi. In addition, I have 3 Virgin Wi-Fi boosters connected with great signal strength.

The problem is, if the hub is powered off and on or rebooted then the majority of my devices will not reconnect. No matter how many times I reboot the device. It seems to fall over when trying to allocate an IP. Even after factory reset attempts. My first hub had exactly the same issue to which the engineer replaced.

To resolve the issue, I’ve had to change my Wi-Fi name and spend an age reconnecting everything. However, I’m very reluctant to test if it will survive another reboot.

Any thoughts? Im not in a position to purchase my own router and separate boosters.

If it helps, I think my software version is LG-RDK_4.6.24-2206.7. I’m on Gig1 package and recently rebooted to get the speed upgrade for uploads.

Thanks all,

3 REPLIES 3

jess67
Joining in

i had exacly the same issue with my hub5. Finally got it replaced on saturday.  Previously, i changed my SSID and password to match an old router.  With the new hub5 i have reprogrammed all my devices with the new SSID and passord and so far so good. i rebooted my new hub5 and everything reconnected. Maybe the hub5 does not like havings its default ssid and password changed.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello ammy53.

Thanks for your post and welcome to our Community.

Sorry to hear about the issues connecting after a reboot.

I don't want to lay any blame at all, But you have mentioned 40 devices connected over WiFi. This should not be an issue when the Hub is up and running.

But after a reboot it will struggle reconnect all devices at once.

I can go away and feed this back to our product team for you though.

Gareth_L

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As implied... the VM Router is technically challenged when pushed.  In this case you should explore getting your own 3d party wireless router or Mesh and usng the Hub in modem only mode.  £30-100 would sort this and give you better control of your connectivity on a better specced device.  I did this >20 years ago and have never had any issues

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.