cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2ac to 3 hub

kennyo
Tuning in

i have read on the vm website that i can upgrade from my 2ac hub (the wifi keeps dropping out, i have tried to reset it but and still getting the same problem) to a hub 3 for free, when i do what they advise i keep getting taken to a chat page that doesn't seem to work, can anyone help ?

when i called 150, they told me there would be a charge as it was an on-line offer to have a free upgrade

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can just call in and tell them the wifi on the old hub has failed and you would like it fixed. Or a VM person should pick this up in a day or two and help sort something for you.

They may just send you a refurbished SH2 though.

Or do as I did ~20 years ago and take control of your own wifi and put the Hub into modem mode and use your own router and wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I posted this the other day....

However, VM (like others) have a Hub stock shortage at the moment and essentially are not swapping hubs unless they are faulty - or if a customer moves to a package that requires a different Hub. In your case - the SH2 is good for up to 200 - anything higher requires them to give you a Hub3/4. A new package will cost more and start a new 18 month contract

I still use the SH2 albeit in modem mode. So why do you want to change it ?

I would say if it aint broke dont try and fix it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

(the wifi keeps dropping out, i have tried to reset it but and still getting the same problem)

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is it only evident on wifi connections or do you see the drops at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables?

If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

only seems to be wifi the pc. hive etc plugged into the 2ac hub have been fine, have tried changing the wifi channels from auto through 1 to 12. if we turn the hub off, it may work for a hour or a week without us noticing any problems but keeps happening

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can just call in and tell them the wifi on the old hub has failed and you would like it fixed. Or a VM person should pick this up in a day or two and help sort something for you.

They may just send you a refurbished SH2 though.

Or do as I did ~20 years ago and take control of your own wifi and put the Hub into modem mode and use your own router and wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

thanks, to be honest i only use the pc, but the kids and grandkids are the ones on the wifi, and they are on my case.

I don't think i can take calling vm again, takes me an age just to pick the right option to try to get through to the right person and then they just want to sell me something, seriously thinking of paying £20 for a replacement from ebay. 

many thanks for your time

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any VM equipment you buy on eBay is a door stop - VM will never reactivate anything to work on your account.

If you want to spend a small amount of money see these options...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-AC8-Wireless-Supports-management/dp/B07Z7NY23Q/

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

or with MU MIMO wifi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-AC10-1200MBPS-DUALBAND-ROUTER/dp/B07DGPYKLP/

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi John 

am i right in thinking i change my 2av from router to modem mode then just plug into new wireless router ? and would i need to plug the ethernet cable for my pc and hive box into the new wireless router or leave in the 2ac ?

much appreciate your help

Ken

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Basically yes. There is a sequence to follow if you get one - I have posted it below.

When in modem mode only 1 port on the Hub works and the others shut off.  So that is the port you use for the router.    On the SH2 I think it's the "bottom" one that works - my router is in that port anyway. That's the port you use to connect the router to. Any other ethernet connections then have to emanate from your router - and there are 4 LAN ports on them specifically for that use.  When its set up as below plug the PC/Hive into those.

Switch on and set up your own router (in its settings) to have the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway, but the instructions should walk you through it.

Also you might want to set the 2.4 an 5 GHz SSID's names and the Wifi passwords on the new router to match that on your Hub so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

Once set, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug it. Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode as per...

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

...and leave it 5' to settle. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub. As I said I think its the bottom one.

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------