Menu
jordy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

2G WIFI Drop Out

As with many others I am having to constantly reboot my router (SH2) to reconnect to 2G WIFI.

The 5G connection is pretty stable most of the time, so no issue there but lots of my families devices only have 2G connectivity.

I have searched this forum for advice for weeks and it appears that the only way forward is a Super Hub 3 ?  Can this be arranged please ?

I have been with Virgin Media for years and the Broadband on the whole has been excellent... I just need this issue sorting as it's driving me mad, via my frustrated kids !

Thanks

0 Kudos
UtopiaOpera
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2G WIFI Drop Out

@jordy wrote:

As with many others I am having to constantly reboot my router (SH2) to reconnect to 2G WIFI.

The 5G connection is pretty stable most of the time, so no issue there but lots of my families devices only have 2G connectivity.

I have searched this forum for advice for weeks and it appears that the only way forward is a Super Hub 3 ?  Can this be arranged please ?

I have been with Virgin Media for years and the Broadband on the whole has been excellent... I just need this issue sorting as it's driving me mad, via my frustrated kids !

Thanks

You are not the only one.

I leave 5Ghz switched off and only use 2.4Ghz on everything. It went down again today! This is about the 3rd time in 3 months.

It seems like they are sending firmware updates out (or some kind of comms to the router) and it kills the 2.4Ghz whenever they do.

We're on a SH3, so perhaps that wouldn't fix it. But yeah... do you know if VM have officially acknowledged this issue? Because, it's obvious it's happening. 

0 Kudos
jordy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.... I don't know if they've officially acknowledged the issue but there are plenty of examples of it on these forums.......

My 5G is ok but lots of devices don't use it...................

My next option is to switch to modem mode and buy a decent router.........

Hopefully a moderator will pick this up and assist us ?!?!?

UtopiaOpera
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well, it's been going on for months and they haven't fixed it yet! 

I mean, if you have an old router laying around, even one from an ex ISP, you might be able to use that. I use an old Netgear plugged into ours upstairs as a switch/extender, without putting the hub into modem mode. All I do is switch off DHCP on the Netgear, plug an ethernet cable into ethernet ports connecting the two routers (Note: not the coloured modem-in ports, just the regular ethernet ports)... and you should be OK... just set the signal/passwords up on it as you want and it should work. 

However, make sure the IP address on the 2nd router doesn't clash with the SuperCrapHub, if it does, there maybe (like on my old Netgear) an option to change the IP address of it.

So it goes like this:

ip of my SH3 is 192.168.0.1

I want the ip of my 2nd router to be 192.168.0.2 - so I set it as such, and turn off DHCP on that router.

I go into SH3, in DHCP server and set the starting range to 192.168.03 (that way, nothing will ever clash with the 2nd router ip)

The starting DHCP range of the SH3 defaults to 192.168.0.10 anyway, but I don't know what the SH2 does and it's just good practice anyway I guess. 

Now the SH assigns all IP addresses even if you are connecting via the 2nd router, cabled or wifi. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jordy,

As your Super Hub 2 is an older model I have ordered a replacement (Hub 3) which should be with you shortly. Here is the info:

• The new Hub should arrive within the next few days.
  • The courier, Yodel, will leave contact details should re-delivery arrangements be needed.
  • A text will be sent (to the mobile number we have listed for you) the day prior to delivery advising of an ETA.
  • Full setup and activation instructions will be included.

Keep us updated on how you get on Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

jordy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jen.. that's great news.

I'll let you know if it solves the problem.

Paul J

0 Kudos