cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 wall sockets

jasondraw
Joining in

I have recently moved in to a property which has 2 Virgin Media wall sockets on different sides of the house. Each box has its own black coax cable running into it from the street. I have a Hub 3 (and a TV 360) connected to the first. I have a very poor wifi signal on the opposite side of the house. Before I buy a mesh wifi system (such as Google Nest or TP Link Deco etc.), is there an easy way to use my second (currently unused) Virgin wall socket in order to extend the range of my wifi to this side of the house? Maybe by plugging in a second router? Virgin are saying 'no' and that you can only have one router per premises. Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot use that second port to extend your wifi, the call centre are correct

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jasondraw

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear of the WiFi issue. The call centre are correct, you can only have one router per account. 

I do wish to help you sort this though. Have you got a hub 3 router and a smartphone? If so, please download for free on the phone's app store, the Virgin Media Connect App - when installed and set up, you can run a WiFi scan in the property. This will identify any coverage blackspots and either optimise the connection where possible, or prompt you to order a Pod.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Pods will probably cost you £5/month. The "best" way to do this is to run som Cat6 ethernet cable from the Hub and plug it in to a wireless access point or wireless router in Access mode at the bad spots. Good ones start at ~£40 e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your message John. I have tried the Connect app already but it didn’t help with the black spots. Given that I can’t apparently make use of my second wall socket to improve coverage, I have now installed 3x TP Link Deco M5, and I put my VM Hub 3 into modem mode. I didn’t want to sign up for VM pods at £5 per month. According to a video on the VM website, VM “wifi boosters” are offered at no extra charge, but when I speak to Virgin, the only option is “intelligent wifi pods” at £5 per month.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @jasondraw

I'm sorry to hear this, did the app advise there were blackspots in signal around the home? If so, you will need boosters in order to correct this. Did you have the option to order these through the app? 

Boosters are free for Ultimate Oomph / Gig 1 customers, if you do not have either package these are charged at £5 extra a month. 

Should you decide you would like the boosters to help resolve the issue please let us know and we'll happily assist. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide