cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 failed Wi-Fi Pods (I have a Hub 3 I think)

Sapo
Tuning in

So I have three Wi-Fi pods in the house. One is connected tot the Hub with an Ethernet cable as I had one available and a means to conceal it. That one is working fine. The other two are around the house and have not been moved and have been operational since installation some months ago. I previously had a pod that failed and VM replaced it. 

Out of nowhere, the two that are not wired to the hub have both simultaneously failed. Lights flash and change colour but nothing happens and neither will show as connected on the VM connect app.

I’ve seen lots of people raising this stuff on here but no one seems to actually be getting a cause or solution aside from ditch them all, spend a few hundred quid on a Mesh system and get a router. I’d rather avoid that if possible. Any ideas or ideally a proper solution from VM?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Sapo thanks for your post here in the Community, although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised regarding your WiFi Pods.

You have mentioned firstly that you have one wired directly in to your Hub, can you advise why this is the case please as this isn't necessary for the Pods to work, they don't need to be connected to your Hub in order to work and this could be causing interference? Even though we appreciate it was working in this setup previously.

Can you please also advise if your Hub is in Modem Mode or Router Mode? As the Hub needs to be in Modem Mode in order to work with the Pods itself.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Sapo
Tuning in

Hi there, thanks for coming back to me. The hub is in modem mode. I do not believe that there is any interference. As already stated the setup has been working perfectly for months and has suddenly stopped working for no discernible reason.

Thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sapo wrote:

Hi there, thanks for coming back to me. The hub is in modem mode. I do not believe that there is any interference. As already stated the setup has been working perfectly for months and has suddenly stopped working for no discernible reason.

Thanks

Hi @Sapo 

The pods only work under certain conditions.

Keep your Hub in Router Mode - Do not put the Hub into Modem Mode, as this disables the Wi-Fi and your Pods are connecting to your Hub via Wi-Fi. Likewise, if you use a third-party router it will not work because the Pods are designed to specifically connect directly with VM's Hubs only.

Do not split the SSID – If the SSID is split then the hub treats the two bands as two different standalone networks (the same as picking up your neighbours Wi-Fi when you search for a network). The Smart Wi-Fi cannot move a device between different networks.

Do not disable either bands – If both bands (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) are not switched on then the software cannot move the device for optimisation, which essentially disables the Smart Wi-Fi.

You should also ensure that Chanel Optimisation is enabled in your hub settings.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave,

Thanks, my mistake. The Hub is in Router mode (i have not changed anything on the Hub since it was first installed). No settings have been changed and everything was working perfectly for months without any issues, Unless VM have changed something remotely there or there have been two simultaneous hardware failures there is no reason that anything should have gone wrong, yet it has.

I have not disabled either band and do not understand what you mean by splitting the SSID but once again I have done nothing to the system since it was set up by VM originally other than add the Wi-Fi pods in the first place which have worked up until now.

thanks again

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sapo wrote:

Hi Dave,

I have not disabled either band and do not understand what you mean by splitting the SSID but once again I have done nothing to the system since it was set up by VM originally other than add the Wi-Fi pods in the first place which have worked up until now.

thanks again

Hi again @Sapo 

Just by way of a quick explanation.  Splitting the SSID means giving the wifi bands different names so you can differentiate between the 2.4GHz   and 5GHzsignals. 

For example by going to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add  2g to the end of the 2.4GHz Channel name - For example if it's VM12345678 change it to VM123456782G 

The 2.4GHz band is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz.  

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali