cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Separate virgin media internet connections in the same house

AlexLaure
Tuning in

Hi I'm new here,

Is it possible to have 2 virgin media internet connections in the same house?

I'm moving back into my parents' house, but they already have a virgin media internet connection,

My parents' house is 3 storey, and the router is on the 2nd floor, making it impossible to get a connection on the ground floor (which is where I will be working from home),

Essentially, I would like to move the connection in my current house to the ground floor of my parents' house, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you speak to the House Moves team, they will be able to advise what the options are.

Any installation of a separate account at an address will require the existing account holder's permission.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It's possible in some circumstances (but not ever guaranteed) but if you're looking to extend coverage, it's not the most cost effective solution

This would be better https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-new

sophist
Trouble shooter

Yes, entirely possible, though it’s rarely hte best option.. if you absolutely must have a dedicated connection you may want to consider an openreach-based connection as the secondary… you;ll have some proper resilience then.. alternatively, you could invest in a wireless mesh system (such as the TP-Link Deco product range) which should be able to provide reliable wireless coverage across teh whole property… 

Thanks for both the replies, I have tried wifi extender plugs before and it was okay but not brilliant.

In this case I really want to preserve the VM connection I already have as well as the other VM connection in the house

Thanks again

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you speak to the House Moves team, they will be able to advise what the options are.

Any installation of a separate account at an address will require the existing account holder's permission.

Thanks for your help

The best performance is always wired, so if you can run 1 wire downstairs that would be the solution but if not,

You could try a Mesh setup as mentioned above, works better than your average extender, I use Mesh system and get a full 1Gb link over between upstairs and downstairs.

VM pods might work well, I don't know anything about them, information is quite light on channels and available bandwidth it would provide.

If you were to pay for a second line it would make sense for it to be from a second provider but then you would need to consider a decent router that could take both in and do fail over or load balancing.