cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4ghz with no internet randomly on Super Hub3

Karlosdj
Tuning in

Hi,

I have recently had daily issues with my Super Hub 3 which hasn't been an issue prior.

For some reason the 2.4ghz wireless remains connected to the devices but all devices report no internet connectivity.

Things of note:

• I have both 5ghz and 2.4ghz split as separate SSDs
  • 5ghz remains throughout connected and working with internet connnectivity
  • 2.4ghz shows as connected on all devices its just acts as if the router hasnt got internet
  • Rebooting the hub does fix it
  • I have done the reset in the back of the hub for over 10 seconds and set the hub up again from scratch this did not fix it
  • on rare occasions the hub will actually just drop out completely as well and reboot itself
  • I have checked all cables are connected and seated well and can confirm everything is making a good connection
  • there has been no change to wiring or hub placement in this time 
  • when the 2.4ghz fails even devices sat in the same room as the hub report no internet connection but keep the hub connection

Could it be the Hub is on its way out and somehow the 2.4ghz antenna is some how now faulty?

I will later after work get the logs as some people have done on here.

would be more convinced on settings if i the 5ghz band didnt work either its just very odd that for a few weeks now the 2.4ghz has become an issue when there has been no issue for years prior..

I fell like ive tried everything to no avail and its causing me headaches, hoping someone can shed light on this?

Last bit of information last drop out i ran the web based device check late at night and claimed there was an issue with my 2.4ghz that it could not fix and that i should book an engineer (obviously was too late to ring) so thought id just check on here first before i do something as drastic as calling an engineer out haha because if a virgin rep on here can confirm my thoughts maybe we can save the money of a call out and just ship me a replacement hub maybe? or tell me a setting to change you never know.

Thanks all for your time,

Karl

15 REPLIES 15

You're correct that the oddities around 2.4 GHz would probably have a different cause to the poor connection that the hub's status data shows.  It could be that a pinhole reset of the hub would be worth trying (this will wipe all user wifi settings or passwords you have set).  That would have the same effect as power-cycling the hub, so you could do the reset instead of a reboot.  If the problem were corrupt software/firmware the reloading it might solve the wifi problem so long as the cause isn't hardware related like a dry soldered joint or a memory fault.

The status data suggests a broadband noise issue usually down to joints or cables on the coax network, if that is the case it would be more apparent in the data after a reset or reboot and then running for 12-24 hours.

Cheers mate really appreciate the suggestions you're giving me i did do a full reset with the pin hole as per my original post a few weeks back and the problem did persist sadly , I will possibly try another wipe and reset this weekend 😁

However would still like a VM rep to confirm also if someone views this thread 😊

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Karlosdj,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some ongoing issues with your connection and your Hub!

I was able to locate your account and after running some checks, I can see that there is no area issue that could be impacting your service. As well as this, your upstream and downstream power levels all look perfectly fine. However, I looked a little further into the system, and the reason that they could be showing as fine on our end is due to the fact that your Hub is currently in Modem Mode.

When your Hub is in Modem Mode, we are limited to the data that we receive from the Hub, and might not be able to see the full picture. 

We'll be more than happy to run further tests once you put your Hub back into Router Mode and let it run for at least 24 hours.

Please get back to us then, as we'll be able to see more information.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me! yeah i couldnt deal with the flaky router for any longer due to work commitments so i have indeed just put the hub in modem mode now as people had suggested and hope that it network ports stay alright and remove the need to use it for wifi as thats where my hub 3 is seriously faulty.

So went and brought a Asus gaming router thing put it in modem mode now i have no issues with 2.4ghz or 5ghz anywhere in the house which actually shows how faulty the hub 3 was as it wasnt always that bad but recently couldnt get wifi out of the room it was in barely lol

TLDR : brought a new router put the years old hub in modem mode all fixed as not using the hub 3 for wifi

Another one! - Sanity saved by getting a decent router!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7