cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4ghz not working properly

Kyleh1984
Tuning in

Has anyone had this problem. For some reason I can't seem to get my smart devices to connect to my 2.4ghz signal. It randomly stopped working properly. Although it shows that it is switched on in router settings I have reset and even gone as far as to restore router to factory settings, but for some reason it won't send signal. Its annoying as all my lights are connected to this, and other appliances throughout the house. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

Do you see the SSID being broadcast?

Have you 'split the bands' with different SSID (network name) for 2.4 and 5GHz ?   If not, you can try doing so.

Try using a free Wi-Fi analyser app - do you see the SSID being broadcast with that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model is it (on the base sticker)?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

g0akc
Problem sorter

Do you see the SSID being broadcast?

Have you 'split the bands' with different SSID (network name) for 2.4 and 5GHz ?   If not, you can try doing so.

Try using a free Wi-Fi analyser app - do you see the SSID being broadcast with that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks. I was able to split the bands separately and name them 5ghz and 2.4ghz. This ended up working, thankyou for your help. I have no idea why it started doing this. Now I feel guilty as I sent back an appliance on amazon that probably works fine after using it a few times, it was my own router that was the problem. 😬

Hi @Kyleh1984

This is great to hear. Thanks for letting us know that splitting the bands has worked for you. Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley,

Not quite sure why this happened, but after splitting it and connecting to the 2.4ghz I then went back into settings and joined them back up to dual band see if it still worked. This ended up still working so left it like this. 

Hi John,

It was the hub3. All sorted now 

Glad to hear all sorted Kyleh1984

Do pop back if you ever need anything

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill