Menu
SeanM100
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

2.4g on hub 3. On off on off etc etc etc!

Hello anyone at Virgin if you're reading this.

Hi all.

I'm new to this forum but have been a Virgin customer for quite a few years. 

My issue is as subject line. My 2.4 sig keeps getting lost. I see from reading this forum that this is quite a common problem.

I have been in touch with the call center in India several times and eventually they have sent engineers out after getting me to jump through the usual hoops. So far the score is Virgin 3, me 0 (I'm on my third hub) and the problem still persists. 

While my phone's work well on 5g, my problem like so many others posting here is that all of my other equipment relies on 2.4g.

So now to my reason for posting, two questions. 

1. To other members, has anyone with similar issues been able to resolve them? If so how?

2. Virgin. What are you doing to fix this well documented and it seems, very common problem?

I'm now at the end of my tether an if it can't be resolved I'm off to pastures new at the end of my contract.

Rant over.

Sean

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2.4g on hub 3. On off on off etc etc etc!

Have you separated the 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs names as recommended in many posts? The the same name for both some devices do try hopping from one to another. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
SeanM100
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yep. Done that.. have VM*****5g and VM*****2.4g.   2.4 dies and 5g still runs

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The 2.4GHz signal dropping is a common global problem, not just confined to VM.
The problem is that the 2.4GHz band is narrow and free to use, so the world and his wife are fighting for airspace.
The 5GHz band is much wider with non-overlapping channels, so is far less prone to interference.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the number of simultaneous connections, the Topography of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, older chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@SeanM100 wrote:

Yep. Done that.. have VM*****5g and VM*****2.4g.   2.4 dies and 5g still runs

Did you disable "channel optimisation" as well ?  If not - try that - it causes hopping between channels on 2.4 attempting to find the optimal one - seems more stable if you choose which 2.4 channel best suits your environment and you stick to it.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos