cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4g not working on Hub 3

tpmchugh
On our wavelength

My Hub 3 on 5g is working fine with speeds up to 380. The 2.4g however has been showing speeds of around 80 with high latency of around 45. Today the speed is down to 36 and although I can connect to the internet with my chromebook set to 2.4, other devices cannot. My Samsung S21 connects but with no internet connection and my wifi security camera is completely disconnected. I have rebooted the hub 3 times to no avail. I have also run the diagnostics on the Virgin web site which tells me the connection is good. Virgin status as of 26 June at 3pm says there are no local issues. Can anyone help

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try the following;

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Split the SSID as below, and manually choose the best band for each device;

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.
• Disable the Smart Optimisation on the wifi bands.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tpmchugh
On our wavelength

Thanks Adduxi,

Will try that tonight when no one else using wifi. I did a factory reset a while back but used the option in settings rather than pinhole. Dont want to change my SSIDs from current  cause I would have more devices to change than I care too. My 2.4g name is XXXXXXXXXX2.4g but the full stop has not been a problem in the past. Will let you know how it goes

Terry

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Some people on here have reported in the past, issues when they had a "period" in the SSID name

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

tpmchugh
On our wavelength

Hi Adduxi,

Tried all that and still cannot connect to 2.4g network with my phone. As my security camera works only on 2.4g my phone needs to be on the same network to properly pair the camera. Something is seriously wrong with 2.4g

Thing is JB, I have had this SSID name for some time and it is only in the last two days that I have had problems. My chromebook connects wit no problem albeit with much reduced speeds

tpmchugh
On our wavelength

Problem solved. My daughter, who works from home, had set her wifi booster to access point so she could use an ethernet connection rather than wifi that was constantly dropping out in her office. Even though the booster is upstairs my phone was trying to connect through it rather than the router in the same room just about 1 meter away. My phone is now working fine on both 2.4 and 5 and my security camera is online again. Guess it will go awry again when she plugs in tomorrow but I can live with office hours gliches as long as she switches it off at the end of her working day