cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4Ghz not playing nice.

stigslim
Joining in

Hi all, been having issues with my Wifi of late. I have a Hub 4 and keep getting drop outs on the 2.4 Ghz band. I stay connected to the router via Wifi but it has no access to the internet (according to my device). This seems to be temporary and kicks back in at random times, all whilst 5Ghz seems solid as a rock. Did a little research and looked into changing the wifi channel (channel 6 seemed poor) so i opted for 3 but as soon as i switch the said channel seems to drop in quality. Any help is greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you go in the settings and try disabling its... "smart/intelligent" wifi AND the Channel optimisation. All that channel changing on the 2.4 band may be causing this

Note also that you should really only use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz

Here is why...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal/td...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi stigslim,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. We sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with your Wi-Fi services recently. 

As our valued member @jbrennand has offered some really great advice already, has this option worked for you?

Come back to us if you need further assistance.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Still had no luck, contacted customer support but got nowhere fast. Decided to go with using my own router and switched my Hub to modem mode, configured my router (TP Link AC1900) or at least i think i did. Tried every which way but just can not get internet through my own router. Tried the ethernet coming from port 1 straight into a laptop and that worked so i can only assume that its a router setting i am getting wrong. Ran through the setup with obvious choices and changed nothing of impotance so i'm lost. Either the Hub has an issue or i keep making the same mistake with my TP Link router. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

If VM have their way only half of routers will work in modem mode with some having the option to work.

Put hub in modem mode with just a PC power off 2mins then on unplug replug Ethernet till you get internet then connect PC to your router login find MAC clone option to copy MAC to router then connect router to hub.

If the above don't work list what hub you have and firmware version and do the following test on PC to hub in modem mode.

Run Registry Editor go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{your NIC}
and set *DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag* to 1 and add Dword "DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle" to 0 reboot

if changing DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag to 0 works and 1 does not VM are in the nut house

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tried the copy MAC trick but still no luck. Had a quick browse in the reg editor but not really sure what I'm doing so chickened out. Any way you could explain it clearer?  I might add that the test WAN connection fails on the TP router. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

There is no reason why you can't get it to work with just a PC and modem mode keep trying.

Check DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag is set to 0 thats the DHCP mode VM likes but many routers are hard coded to 1 which you can test for in windows

Checked DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag is set to 0 which is set to 1. But I'm not sure what my NIC is in the interfaces menu, a couple of them look the same. Boy I'm lost in there. It's this whilst connected to the hub via ethernet?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

The NIC will be a random Key you just need to check all of them as to which has the IP.

You set DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag to 0 and reboot this is what VM like when you get your WAN IP and internet is working set it to 1 along with DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle to 0 as a Dword and reboot to see if you have internet. 

Going to have to admit defeat I think. It's all a bit much. The irony is I had this same setup at my other address with the hub 3 which was pretty solid for a couple of years.