cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4 GHz wifi really poor

markgoodl
On our wavelength

So ive just got the 1G broadband with a Hub 4 and ever since weve had it i cant get the 2.4GHz wifi to perform satisfactory or anywhere near my old broadband performance (it seems). I have had to disable optimised wifi on the router, split the networks to 5 and 2.4Ghz with seperate SSID's. the 5Ghz performs ok with 500 to 700MB (depending upon device). But the 2.4Ghz struggles to get anywhere above 20MB, which is rubbish.

I have had to switch of the VM Pod that used to use and with my old network (that ran fine) as that wont work with managed signals.

I have seen a few threads about something similar, but my feeling is the routers faulty or something.

I am aware of the limitations of the various tech connected to it, but i get a faster Wi-Fi signal off my phone. I know its not the signal to router as that reporting around 1100MB which is great. My hardwired PS5 reported similar as well. so its definitely the 2.4GHz connection.

Any advice ?

29 REPLIES 29

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @markgoodl,

I can see on our system that there is nothing booked, I am sorry no one has checked this sooner.

Was you told that you needed a new Hub to resolve your current 2.4GHZ signal? Have you tried any other methods on it first? Like a pinhole reset?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

DaveBroadband
Joining in

Any joy getting this sorted. I’m on super hub 3, 350 speeds and noticed the same. 300 speeds on 5ghz but only 20-30 on 2.4ghz.  Just wondering what I can do so searched on here 

No not really. Have split the signal to have a separate 5ghz and 2.4Ghz and have just made sure the 5ghz capable devices are in this, luckily that works for me. Virgin media where absolutely no help, so don’t expect them to sort this out.

I did buy a Wi-Fi 6 enabled router and try using this with the hub in modem mode, but the was no improvement, in fact it was worse so I sent that back. 
Just have to live with now as is.

when I had 350mb service and a pod it worked really well, so wish I hadn’t “upgraded”

Yeah I’ve done that, sadly the one device that needs the best speeds doesn’t seem to be compatible to the 5ghz signal I set up.  I did tick or untick the optimised box after reading other threads this morning and the 2.4ghz did go up to 60.  I’d rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty pin than call virgin media.  

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the responses DaveBroadband,

Welcome to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced, can I ask are the speeds affected on a wired connection?

Also are you experiencing any dropouts?

Thanks,

Kain

Can’t say I ever use wired connections as router not near the devices I use. No dropouts just a big difference in the 2.4ghz compared to 5ghz.  

Thanks for confirming DaveBroadband,

I've not been able to locate any details for you so I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Thanks for popping your details over via private message DaveBroadband 🙂

I've had a look and everything is looks to be within the specifications we would expect.

Have you tried disconnecting some of the devices from WiFi?

Alex_Rm

I’ll have a look. It’s only when connect a device to the 2.4ghz network when I get slower speeds.  

Thank you DaveBroadband.

We can see some of you devices are experiencing signal problems when connecting to the 2.4Ghz. 

With this being the case, have you considered adding our WiFi Pods to your package? More information on these can be found here.

Thank you, 

Nat