cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4 GHz wifi really poor

markgoodl
On our wavelength

So ive just got the 1G broadband with a Hub 4 and ever since weve had it i cant get the 2.4GHz wifi to perform satisfactory or anywhere near my old broadband performance (it seems). I have had to disable optimised wifi on the router, split the networks to 5 and 2.4Ghz with seperate SSID's. the 5Ghz performs ok with 500 to 700MB (depending upon device). But the 2.4Ghz struggles to get anywhere above 20MB, which is rubbish.

I have had to switch of the VM Pod that used to use and with my old network (that ran fine) as that wont work with managed signals.

I have seen a few threads about something similar, but my feeling is the routers faulty or something.

I am aware of the limitations of the various tech connected to it, but i get a faster Wi-Fi signal off my phone. I know its not the signal to router as that reporting around 1100MB which is great. My hardwired PS5 reported similar as well. so its definitely the 2.4GHz connection.

Any advice ?

29 REPLIES 29

Probably worth checking what the 'Channel Width' is set to on the 2.4GHz band (unsure if it can be set to 40Mhz on the HUB 4):

@carl_pearce wrote:

Probably worth checking what the 'Channel Width' is set to on the 2.4GHz band (unsure if it can be set to 40Mhz on the HUB 4):

It can. But you should never use it unless you live in the remote end of nowhere 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @markgoogl, thanks for your post although I'm sorry you've been having problems with your Hub 4.

It's great to hear that things have improved since you called us, although I'm sure that your replacement wifi pod should also help further too.

Please let us know if you need any further support!

Many thanks

Tom_W

markgoodl
On our wavelength

The problems are far from sorted. By 2.4ghz wifi devices are now back to 10 to 20 mb. Checking on real speed on my 5g enabled devices but switched to the 2.4 I get around 60. But after the long arduous telephone call I was getting around 60mb on these devices that are back to reporting 10 to 20mb.

I have rebooted the router to see if that makes any difference, but no..

Still awaiting the pod!

Hi markgoodl, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

It's worth noting that there are a few requirements for the Pods to work with our Hubs. You can view these below: 

• The Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode' 
  • Channel Optimisation must be left on 
  • The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled 
  • The SSID must be password protected 
  • The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match

As long as all of the above points are all met then the Pods will automatically connect to your Hub's WiFi and begin broadcasting. The wireless details from the Pods will be the same as the Hub's details, so no additional steps are required to connect up the devices in the home.

If you have split the networks and also turned off optimisation then the pods won't work at all. I would look at resetting the Hub back to default settings, plug the pod in close the hub for it to connect and then you can move it a little further away. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

markgoodl
On our wavelength

Thanks, yes im aware of all of that.

the problem will be that my 2.4ghz is running between 20 to 60mb which is no good for streaming etc (at the lower end)

im still waiting for the hub to appear, but I’m now away for a week so hope it doesn’t get put in a bin that’s emptied during the week!

Hi @markgoodl thanks for getting back to us.

Are you aware with any deliveries you could have arranged an alternative address?  Have you been given a specified delivery date?

Regards

Lee_R

markgoodl
On our wavelength

No alternative address for delivery and I was told 5 to 7days when I phoned to complain about this awful “upgade” that I wish I’d never done!

Thank you for letting us know @markgoodl.

In this case, have you checked in your my VM account, under the tab my orders and appointments to see if an appointment has been listed there?

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

markgoodl
On our wavelength

There’s no appointment scheduled ☹️