cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4 GHz WiFi Cutting Out

TimMeadows
Tuning in

Hi, 

Until this weekend, I have had rock solid WiFi and Cabled internet in my house via my Hub3 and 2x WiFi Pods. 

In the last week, the 2.4 GHz WiFi has been cutting out on a daily basis, meaning the devices I have that are 2.4GHz only have lost connection to the internet. 
Devices connected via 5GHz WiFi or ethernet have been working fine. 

After 1-2 hours, the router seems to 'recover' and it starts working again - but there does not seem to be any reason behind it. 

Rebooting the router does help sometimes, but that takes 15-20 minutes to complete, and disrupts the rest of the WiFi too. 

This seems to have started since I got the notification of the upgrade from Intelligent WiFi Plus to WiFi Max. Could that have anything to do with it?  

Please can you help? 

3 REPLIES 3

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@TimMeadows wrote:

Hi, 

Until this weekend, I have had rock solid WiFi and Cabled internet in my house via my Hub3 and 2x WiFi Pods. 

In the last week, the 2.4 GHz WiFi has been cutting out on a daily basis, meaning the devices I have that are 2.4GHz only have lost connection to the internet. 
Devices connected via 5GHz WiFi or ethernet have been working fine. 

After 1-2 hours, the router seems to 'recover' and it starts working again - but there does not seem to be any reason behind it. 

Rebooting the router does help sometimes, but that takes 15-20 minutes to complete, and disrupts the rest of the WiFi too. 

This seems to have started since I got the notification of the upgrade from Intelligent WiFi Plus to WiFi Max. Could that have anything to do with it?  

Please can you help? 

It'll be interesting to see what help the VM bods will be able to afford.  They can look at your circuit and see whether it was suffering anything at particular times of day, but that won't explain problems specific to the 2.4GHz band.

These problems usually occur because of bandwidth contention including all sorts of domestic appliance, but usually neighbours on the same channel.

The Intelligent WiFi is supposed to be self optimising.  Problem is that if it moves you onto a different channel, it could glitch.  That's not the same as going off for some time, but I venture my opinion for what it's worth.

Of one thing I'm certain:  the Hub 3 WiFi either works or it doesn't.  It does not cut out intermittently - why would it?

Keep us posted.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

I agree - it seems really strange. 
I had the "opportunity" today to try turning off the 5GHz wifi on the Hub3, and I couldn't connect to the 2.4GHz on my phone... It could see the SSID, but wouldn't connect. When I reenabled 5GHz, it was happy again. 

When this is happening, all the 5GHz and ethernet connections are fine, so it is something strange about the 2.4GHz band. 

I've used a wifi analyser on my phone, and can't see lots of congestion from neighbours, and nothing that looks very different from last week. 
Can the self optimising be turned off without affecting the wifi pods? 

Thanks

No - those damn pods rely on the damn smart WiFi option.

I use Powerline Adaptors fed off a single Ethernet cable. Depending on distance from the master Powerline adaptor, my iPhone 11 Pro can receive between 200 Mbps and 20 Mbps at the farthest point.

I suppose you could argue that the 2.4GHz band can suffer the same contention issues in Powerline as bare Hub. But there will be no Smart WiFi problems!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)