cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1mb 166ms ping. 43% packet loss , internet issues all day

KNYT
Tuning in

So my internet has been running absolutely abysmal all day. 

Iv rebooted the router a few times. rebooted all devices and still issues. 

no network outage reported for my area by issues all over the uk and down detector shows issues reported for swansea and cardiff this evening. 

This seems to be getting more frequent. 

happens at least once every week or two. 

i don’t get much time off work but when i do i don’t want the wife screaming at me to fix the internet because she can’t watch an episode of greys anatomy without it pausing every few seconds. and i’d like be able to jump on an online game without being kicked every few seconds or experiencing lag. 

All tvs and consoles are are connected via cat6e gigabit lan. 

can someone tell me when i can expect a working service again and what kind of compensation i’m going to get for this because this is not the service i pay for. 

7 REPLIES 7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you check the web page for outages? If so it does not cover local issues, 

Check with Area faults on  0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150.

If no faults found:

Call Customer Services on 0345 454 1111 or if you have a VM landline 150 or wait a day or two for a VM staff member to get to your post.

VM are governed by OFFOM rules for compensation and is not paid for faults unless it’s a total loss of service

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM seems to only care if you get the bandwidth not good latency in 5-10 years that might change...

---------------------------------------------------------------

when i’m paying £52 for 500mb broadband and i’m getting barely 20mb, and unable to load a webpage or sign in to xbox live is call that loss of service.

If i can’t use the service i’m paying for then it’s not a service i should be paying for  

And also 43% packet loss is absolutely useless. 

If that was an audio file your were streaming you’d only be listening to 57% of the track if your lucky. 

Its like watching a movie with missing frames.

Or reading a book with missing pages. 

latency spikes i can deal with,  poor speeds not so much but packet loss…no chance.

loading sites, sending commands, polling email servers etc  via any url (http/https/smpt/ftp/snmp/tftp etc and so on,  requires packets of data to be transmitted as well as received

packet loss is where i draw the line.

at this point the internet is not working

0% loss is the only acceptable amount. 

if you get packet loss the connection is not stable. 

(been working as cisco , ccna, certified networking engineer for 18 years) 

woken up to poor connection again. 

It had resolved at about 1am and i was only getting 1% packet loss 

Fire up the xbox and laptop this morning and i’m getting 29.26Mbps , 160ms latency and still 43% packet loss. 

If this continues il take my money elsewhere and find another provider. 

E5490C3A-F1F0-4C09-8014-B3E6690565A5.jpeg

here’s a screenshot of last nights stats pre midnight 

88D40D64-FBA8-4851-B969-B7155582C16B.jpeg

Hi KNYT,

Thank you for posting on the Community Forums. I am sorry to hear you've been facing issues with your connection over the weekend.

I've been able to find your account and can see that there are multiple signal issues affecting your connection, which will require an engineer's visit to put right.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can get this arranged with you. Please find my message over at the purple envelope.

Thanks

Beth

Beth