cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb to hub , 150 at the ports

steven_wynn_uk
Tuning in

Ok, this is doing my nut in. I've used the sam knows real speed to ensure I'm getting 1gb to the hub. Thats all good. Anything wired by ethernet into the hub gets a max of 150mg. thats multiple devices, multiple cables, all cat 6 and above.

Had a live chat with virgin this morning, who sent some updates to the hub to improve it. This "improvement" has reduced the ports to 30mb. No amount of restarting etc works.

Does anyone from Virgin read these forums? I'm tired of not getting through and not getting anything like I'm paying for.

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to log this, if you're not getting the minimum speed promised (1gb so approx 600mbps min) you can leave penalty free.

Virgin have 30 days to sort or under section N, you can leave - they'll sort it before this happens, they just need a little push 

Log it as a fault and request an engineer attends. If they don't show you will be due compensation.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do it this way and report back

you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

See message 9 in this thread where this revealed no issues

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slow-Ethernet-Speed/m-p/5060946#M484321

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi. Done. No change, and used windows and mac. Just had an engineer visit. Test device showed 900 at the ports. Plugged the 2 laptops into his cable and oh, 90mb only. Got the old not our problem.

So just cancelled virgin - not fit for purpose.

Cheers for the advice though!

@steven_wynn_uk wrote:

Hi. Done. No change, and used windows and mac. Just had an engineer visit. Test device showed 900 at the ports. Plugged the 2 laptops into his cable and oh, 90mb only. Got the old not our problem.

Cheers for the advice though!

Do your laptops have 1Gbps Ethernet ports?

90Mbps sounds like they are negotiating at 10/100.

Your original thread here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Hub-4-Ethernet-Speed/m-p/5045874#M206477

Did the engineer swap the HUB?

@steven_wynn_uk wrote:

We like to hear back if another ISP gives you better speed if not we have are answer😶 

---------------------------------------------------------------

They wont - but I wont be paying £60 a month for something I cant use.

He didnt swap the hub. Ports are all 1gb and indeed, I used to get 900mb on them. Then it all started going down hill.

Guy turns up, checks all the cabling, plugs his PDA into the hub and boom, he sees the full gb at the port. Plug laptop(s) onto same cable and straight down to naff all. Demo'd with a Macbook and a new Lenovo.He was baffled as to the drop off especially as they all used to work fine. Get 300+ opn the wifi when sat nearby, but as soon as that ethernet goes in, it dies a death. He wouldn't even entertain the idea that there was a problem with the hub....thats used to work fine.

Hi @steven_wynn_uk,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear about your ongoing speed issues! I can understand your frustration if this problem has been carrying on for a while.

I can see that you've been in touch with our team a few days ago and was able to schedule an appointment. 

Please keep us updated on how your tech visit goes and if there's anything else we can do to help in the meantime. We're happy to assist if needed.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs