cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb router dhcp table failures

Stephen_Metcalf
Tuning in

Is this a known fault with the 1gb router?

Mine fails to align any ip addresses by dhcp, it used to be every month, its now a weekly issue.

14 REPLIES 14

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I do think you're going to have to explain your problem a lot better.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

About every 3 days all of my devices connect to both WiFi and ethernet but are automatically assigning 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ip addresses, I have to reboot the router every time.

Occasionally you may encounter a host which has somehow assigned itself an IP address in the 169.254.0.0/16 range. This is a particularly common symptom of Windows machines which have been configured for DHCP but for whatever reason are unable to contact a DHCP server. When a host fails to dynamically acquire an address, it can optionally assign itself a link-local IPv4 address in accordance with RFC 3927. Microsoft's term for this is Automatic Private Internet Protocol Addressing (APIPA).

The purpose of these self-assigned link-local addresses is to facilitate communication with other hosts within the subnet even in the absence of external address configuration (via manual input or DHCP). Unlike in IPv6, implementation of IPv4 link-local addresses is recommended only in the absence of a normal, routable address. Hosts pseudo-randomly generate the last two octets of the address to mitigate address conflicts. Because of the broadcast nature of some local networking protocols (for example, Microsoft's NetBIOS), hosts may be able to detect one another even without any preexisting knowledge of the address scheme.

However, in practice, these auto-configured addresses tend to do more harm than good, particularly in SOHO networks. Receiving an IP outside of the expected subnet carries more potential for confusion and frustration for end users than does receiving no IP at all.

Hi  I am aware that 169 ip addresses are an indication of dhcp issues, the question is do these 1gb routers have an issue? Every connected device fails be it windows android etc with a 169 ip address and the only way to fix it is with a router reboot, my previous 500mb router never had this problem.

Try a pinhole resset for 30 seconds.

--

Thanks but already been done, router has factory default settings but with guest WiFi turned on, could it be that the router can't cope with the guest WiFi?

Why are you using the guest WiFi? It's on a different subnet.

--

So I don't have all my neighbours cancelling their broadband and using mine, I can change the guest network password regularly and have a wifi password board for visitors whilst keeping my pc's and mobile devices connected to the main network.

Maybe it's the free Virgin WiFi that piggybacks on my router causing the issue I don't know.

Put hub in modem mode and get your own wifi router with 1Gb ports.
---------------------------------------------------------------