cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb and Hub 4, is it worth it?

NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic

Had an email offering an upgrade to 1gb and a Hub 4 (ultimate volt customer), at the moment I have M600 and Hub 3.  My service has been excellent for many years and so I am hesitating whether to take the offer or not.  What is the general consensus on the reliability of the 1gb BB service and the Hub 4, I should add that I will only use the hub in modem mode.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

Hub 4 arrived today, I'm super nervous about installing it though as my existing hub 3 has not given me any issues (touch wood)! 

Is the hub 4 worth installing is now a moot point as last night (23:15ish) VM very nicely disconnected my hub 3 without telling me and then sent an SMS this morning telling me that my hub 4 has been registered.  I hadn't installed the hub4 so I'm not sure how they registered it.  However I have now installed the hub 4 and thankfully it is working ok so far, the hub is in modem mode and the only issue is that I can not access the admin pages, the hub 3 in modem mode didn't have this issue so I don't know what's up.

192.168.100.1 is the address to access the admin pages in modem mode

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

@gary_dexter wrote:
192.168.100.1 is the address to access the admin pages in modem mode

I know, it doesn't work. ☹️

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Dont send the Hub3 back for a while until you have test driven the Hub4 for a good period. Will make it easy to go back if issues arise

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand wrote:
Dont send the Hub3 back for a while until you have test driven the Hub4 for a good period. Will make it easy to go back if issues arise

Good idea, the hub3 is not going anywhere just yet.

I would point out that the Hub 3 can't handle the one Gig broadband tier (only the 4 and 5 can), so the only way to be able to use the old Hub 3 is to revert back to the highest speed that the 3 can use, which is 600 Mb/s.

Now the problem, as I see it, might be that if the upgrade was part of a 'Volt' uplift, then I do wonder how well VM's back end system and customer services with their legendary* efficiency and flexibility will cope with such a request.

* In the literal sense, ie doesn't actually exist.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If have had the problem of connecting to 192.168.100.1 numerous times, what fixes it for me is to just unplug the cable between the VM hub and my UDM Pro router, wait 20 seconds and plug it back in again. It then works.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Tudor wrote:

If have had the problem of connecting to 192.168.100.1 numerous times, what fixes it for me is to just unplug the cable between the VM hub and my UDM Pro router, wait 20 seconds and plug it back in again. It then works.

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow.