cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 days to get a replacement Hub3 router

moolahlah
Joining in

I'm a long-term Virgin Media fan and have never had anything other than teething issues with my service, but was surprised to find out just how tedious it is to get hold of a replacement router (Hub 3.0) after mine died.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and has any tricks / ideas on how to speed up the process?

A bit of context: upon returning home at the weekend I found the box to be completely dead with no lights & no WiFi. Checked the obvious stuff, wires and cabling, did a full reset sequence even though there was no visual feedback coming from the unit. The PSU and cable are fine - checked with a multimeter and getting the expected voltage from the socket. Wall socket checked with a different appliance and also fine. There has been no environmental changes to the box or its location, it has been sitting quietly on a shelf in my lounge for the last 2.5 years.

I called up VM, expecting them to go through some generic troubleshooting steps after agree to post out a replacement after those failed:

1st call to CS (Sunday) - Upon completion of the troubleshooting attempts, which confirmed the box was invisible to the network: "we must insist on sending an engineer to your home for further diagnosis - can't book one in for 9 days, but instead we'll give you a call tomorrow from a 'virtual engineer who might be able to do something'"

This virtual engineer call never came.

2nd call to CS (Monday afternoon) - "Sorry you haven't had a call yet, the virtual engineer will give you a call back later today within 4 hours"

This virtual engineer call never came.

3rd call to CS (Tuesday - today) - "let's skip the virtual engineer, and go with the original insistence on sending an engineer to your home for diagnosis - can't book one in for 8 days. There is no alternative and we can't expedite it." I went ahead and booked this out of desperation.

It's booked for the 15 June, which will be 10 days since the problem was first reported. 

It just seems a bit ridiculous to require an engineer (at some quite considerable cost to the company no doubt) to come for a home visit to confirm that the unit is genuinely dead, vs. the cost of just posting a replacement (having completed the troubleshooting). I assume they are almost always in stock, are cheap enough to not need to agonize over, and can be posted out same day.

Any suggestions from staff or other customers on getting this solved quicker would be much appreciated. I am convinced the only resolution to the problem is a new box and it's frustrating to have to wait so long to go through the motions.

I work from home, am approaching my data limit on my non-VM mobile phone (for tethering) so am probably going to have to fork out for a bolt on. VM mentioned some compensation scheme but I am willing to bet it won't cover this. I'm on the 100Mbps package so not immediately eligible for a Hub 5 upgrade unfortunately.

Many thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
VM have had Hub supply issues (common for all electronic devices) recently and that might be the reason, VM will respond here soon.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A virtual call, from a virtual ‘engineer’ from a virtual customer service call taker(well there not really real or are they!), can it get any worse.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello moolahlah, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community. I am so sorry about the experience you have received. 

Unfortunately at the moment due to shortage of hubs we are sending engineers out first to check it over and for them to install it. I do understand this might not be ideal when you are home working.

I have also looked at our systems and I can see we have been in conversation about this.

Sometimes our customers cancel there appointments on the day and this job would then be re-sent out to people like your self however it would be on a first come first serve base for an earlier slot.

They also do go onto the app as well, so please make sure you have it downloaded. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Mrke
On our wavelength

I feel for you as we are in the same situation (engineer on 13th), good luck..

Mrke
On our wavelength

"I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and has any tricks / ideas on how to speed up the process?"

secondhand one from ebay/gumtree/marketplace maybe?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Nope.... VM will NEVER reactivate any Hub that they haven't supplied to you directly. It would be an expensive doorstop.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

and stolen. All hubs are the property of VM.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2