cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

00:00 Dropouts

smokeyjoe03
Joining in

Can anyone explain why my internet connection drops out around 00:00 every single day? I've searched the forums and there are posts going back 2 years complaining about the same issue. How has this never been resolved?

Please don't respond if your answer is one of the following:

Have you tried resetting everything. Yes, I've worked in IT for over 16 years, I know more than the basics

It's PROBABLY maintenance! i highly doubt it because we've not been made aware of it and it's almost every single day. How broken is your network if it requires nightly patches, and how bad is your customer service if you're not warning your customers.

Have you ensured everything is connected tightly! Yes, and it's obviously not that, as everything works fine all day until midnight, I doubt next door's cat is unscrewing our cable every night like clockwork.

This is starting to become disruptive to the point it's unusable. If it is GENUINELY maintenance and it is going to happen every night at this time please let me know so I can change providers. Constant drop outs at this time of night are going to end up getting me fired, I rely on my connection to provide out of hours critical support. I pay for the service 24 hours a day, not 23 and I shouldn't have to rely on my 5g EE connection and mobile tethering.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - I will have a go to start ....

Is the midnight droppage happening on devices connected by ethernet cable - or only those on a wifi connection?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John.

It's an internet drop out, it's not device specific. Everything in the house disconnects, both wired and WiFi. Everything with a 4g / 5g option switches over, everything without just becomes a paperweight. (Connected to network, unable to provide internet)

We have 15 devices, not all turned on at the same time, that are either wired or WiFi. The WiFi connections are a mix of 2.4 and 5GHz connections. Everything drops out. 

Sometimes it lasts 5 minutes, sometimes it can take over an hour for us to get a connection again regardless of how many times the hub and the devices are restarted.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM often does work on the network at that time of night. Usually it only goes on for a few days before they move on. They often don't inform customers in that case.

So for how many consecutive nights has yours been happening?

If it is going to happen for longer, info is usually posted in two places - so check there first.

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

Then to record these events to keep as evidence in any future discussion with VM... set up a BQM as per this....
Set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture.

Post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’ve seen a problem similar to this where the hub in question was trying to do a firmware update and it failed, so it tried the next night and effectively it looped. The solution to this was a pin hole reset, so unless you have already done one, you could give it a try.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

That's the only thing I've not tried yet as there's so much to set back up but I'll give it a go. Thanks Tudor

@jbrennand it's been happening 5-6 nights a week for the last 7 or 8 weeks. There's definitely something more than network maintenance going on.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
ok do as Tudor suggests then and do a Hub “pinhole reset”

First make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! With the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press the reset pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

Passwords and SSID’s will reset to those on the sticker so log in and change them back to what they were/should be and so need setting up again !

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi smokeyjoe03, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you've been having an issue with your hub going offline each night at the same time. There have been some great suggestions from our VIPs. 

I've had a check of things this end and can see there is an issue with your downstream power levels. These are not in specification so will need adjusting. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs