Menu
alistair12
Joining in
Message 21 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Re: excess data usage

I have checked the usage again today we have used 9.0 gb  in 13 days not bad going considering the phone has hardly been out of the house for 3 days because my daughter has been ill. 3gb used in last 24 hours and all the time connected to virgin broadband Wi-Fi. Have just bit the bullet and set up a new deal with another provider although will still have to pay these clowns untill october. Am still going to chase this up tho good luck everybody.

0 Kudos
nickc12
Joining in
Message 22 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Just trying to sum up the energy and effort to contact Virgin again. I will not let this matter rest either. Will update on outcome.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 23 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,

I'm sorry to hear that have been charged for exceeding your data allowance. In order to investigate this further, please check that all background data is switched off on the handset.

Also make sure that your handset settings--all apps and OS--are set to update/connect only via WiFi.

If the handset is an iPhone make sure that WiFi Assist and iCloud have the background data turned off.

When connecting via WiFi, make sure that the mobile data is turned off.

Once this has been done, there should be no data usage or charges for exceeding the data allowance.

If you continue to see data usage after all these checks on the handset or incorrect charges applied when there is available data please let us know so that we can investigate this for you.

Also see the following thread: Mobile data issues and overcharging

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
alistair12
Joining in
Message 24 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Terri

This has been an on going issue for me since December 2017 I have made numerous phone calls to yourselves been lied to various times and got no answers.

I have contacted Apple support who have remotely been through all the settings on the phone and were happy with it.

The phone has mobile data switched off and is connected to  virgin broadband wifi yet still uses data all through the day and night this billing month 9gb was used in 12 days with 3gb being used in a 24 hour period from 6pm Monday night.

We have 3 other mobiles in the house none of which ever have to have their mobile data switched off and never go near to using their data allowance.

I am hugely disappointed with yourselves and will be making an official complaint unless i am fully rembursed and released from my contract.

I await your response with baited breath

Alistair

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 25 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alistair,

Please confirm the specific following details in order to investigate this further:

• Are the other three mobiles in the house Virgin mobiles?
  • Change all apps and iOS to update/connect only via Wi-Fi? As you have such high usage, this looks to be an update either for an app or the iPhone OS. 
  • Turn off background data for Wi-Fi Assist and iCloud?
  • What happens once you have done the 2nd and 3rd step above? 
  • Are you using a purple or red SIM card?

Also, please send me a private message by clicking this link: PM me here and provide the following details:

• Full name on the account
  • Mobile number

* For other forum users reading this, please only PM me if I have asked you to first.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
ianh6087
Settling in
Message 26 of 79
Flag for a moderator

I've got a variation on this. I upgraded to 4gb data this week and got a shiny new iphone 7+ to use it. In TWO DAYS, I'm told, I've already used 75% of this allowance. Previously I used 1gb A  MONTH on my iphone5. Since many of the huge downloads I'm alleged to have made are from when the phone was connected to wifi, I'll be taking this up strongly with Virgin - if I can get through to any one with a brain.

0 Kudos
alistair12
Joining in
Message 27 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Good luck Ianh

0 Kudos
nickc12
Joining in
Message 28 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Yes best of luck and hope you have an awful lot of patience. I am still waiting for my online billing account to be sorted ( can only view two months in 2017 and then not even my phone number ) so much for fixing it in 24 hours! I will then attempt once again to get to the bottom of this tedious saga.

0 Kudos
LG40
Joining in
Message 29 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Hello all,

So I'm not really up on data and what it means etc, I signed up for a Virgin contract having been with Virgin for years and years. I pay £20 a month and literally use my phone for text and the odd WhatsApp. Suddenly after Christmas I have a bill for over £70 and when I call up I've been told I have gone over my data allowance. I had no idea they would be charging me £3 a day and I've been told it's because I left my phone on in my house (that has Virgin WIFI) that I've been charged. I rang and complained and they offered me more data this month which frankly means nothing to me. I feel I've been ripped off and Virgin have been very dishonest. I would expect to get a text telling me they're charging £3 a day rather than just see them take the money without warning, I'm so disappointed. I asked them to look into my complaint but had a voicemail afterwards saying they had closed the case. It's beyond belief, we're loyal Virgin customers with landline and TV etc with them-not for much longer I hope. What a con!

0 Kudos
LG40
Joining in
Message 30 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Hello Terri_P, can you look into my account as I'm not getting a reply via the phone lines that I understand or that makes any sense? I can't email as there isn't an email address for Virgin. I've been charged for data overuse and I have no idea why as I've done nothing different last month than I've done in the previous years...Thanks, Laura

0 Kudos