Menu
caravanj
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Re: excess data usage

I now do a daily check of my VM account & I've not had an excess data usage charge to date.

Having said that, the phone in which I use the VM SIM card isn't a 4G phone but it can still connect to the internet & send & receive emails on 2.5 G

If I do then I will post it on the forum.

0 Kudos
Wayne58
Tuning in
Message 12 of 50
Flag for a moderator

As previously advised, VM agreed to refund me the over-charge for November-December (£39) and have been true to their word.  I have to make another call about the over-charge for December-January (£33), because my call was too late to change the billing but too early to authorise a refund (I didn't bother asking!).  The good news is that there have been no excess charges this month after 8 days, so looking good.

I do hope they have solved this, because I've had this contract for about 9-10 years and this is only the second issue I have had in all that time (I will not bore you with the other issue).

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

0 Kudos
nickc12
Joining in
Message 13 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Hi not a good day for me with Virgin, what with problems re trade up (in another thread) and now noticed my January bill was higher than normal. I too have the same issue as you.  Three lots of £3.00 added to my bill. Virgin Call Center man insisting everything was right their end. I tried to explain to him that the bill was wrong in my opinion, ie internet usage times in middle of the night or early morning and the  "In Tariff" box differing Yes and No from line to line on the bill. I told him I turned the phone off at night making sure mobile data was always switched off and asked how then could this bill be correct. I had the answer that mobile phones can turn themselves on. This I agreed was possible but not for someone who is computer literate and been using mobiles since they were shaped like bricks. I also said that the bill did not add up to anyway near my 2 gig allowance but apparently I didnt understand adding up kbs into Mbs.

There was an offer to waive the charge which I refused as I wanted the discrepancies to be explained to me and an acknowledgement that there was possibly an error on Virgins sidethis he could provide.  I regard a waiver as hush money sort of shut up and go away. But I have a feeling this will happen again.

0 Kudos
tb1955
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 50
Flag for a moderator

I already have 3 X £3 spurious charges in this month's bill even though I have only used 110 Mb out of my 300 Mb allowance.  Last bills have also included spurious £3 internet usage charges even though I was well within my allowance. I have written to Virgin after having spoken with various help desk agents and forum team members. There is obviously a big problem with their billing system which appears to have been going on for some time, and is continuing to cause concern.  It would be interesting to know how many accounts are affected with this pain of a problem.

0 Kudos
alistair12
Joining in
Message 15 of 50
Flag for a moderator

They don't care one bit I have been waiting 3 1/2 weeks now for my deadlock letter. All that means is another wasted non productive phone call to god knows where, but I won't let it lie.
0 Kudos
alistairpick
Joining in
Message 16 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Guess what rang last night about deadlock letter and they had no record of request for this . I have spoke to people after 5 days 14 days and 28 days so 4 people in total they are LIARS. Save yourselves time and money people and **** these clowns off.

0 Kudos
nickc12
Joining in
Message 17 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Have not heard anything back from promise of a manager to call me. Probably have no record of that either. I will have to call them yet again, wait ages with the various options then wait to speak to someone explain everything all over again without any certainty of being taken seriously or any positive outcome. They really are a shambles.

0 Kudos
linkstatic71
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 50
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I usually get the email of my bill and this month i noticed my wifes account was well overcharged so i logged in and found the excess data usage too, While i was in there i had a look at the 2 other accounts i have one for me and one for my son and noticed that both of these accounts had higher data usage. All three accounts showed the same  things happening since Dec 2017 on the hour data usage both in and out of tariff ie dec 11 0100 230kb out of  tariff then the next line 0100 23kb in tariff

So i called vm and got some totally shocking responses from the operators

1st operator wanted to go through  how to fix my phone chat. i informed her it was 3 different phones who have not changed settings in anyway so trying to fix just one phone is pointless as i would find it hard to believe 3 different phones would all start showing the same problems at the same time when the only thing they have in common was the virgin sim inside them. She would not deviate from the script in anyway and hung up on me as i told her was pointless and would be just wasting our time to do it.

2nd operator went a bit further He told me that as of DEC 2017 (after first telling me he had no idea when it happened) virgin are using ee aerials and now have there own network!!!

Because the network is now 4g my apps could gain access to the internet!! apparently by his words the 3g signal was that weak that apps could not gain access to the internet so did not show up on previous data usage!! (yes he really said that) and if i was to down load an app on the 3g network it would take about 2 hours to download, He told me to download the virgin app to see what apps use data, i informed him that i had it already and that for it to run it had to be (in the past )connected to mobile data and with his summery it would not have worked as the 3g network was that bad!! you could here him start to back track here

I then got the speal about turning off mobile data, fine i said if it was just one phone but this is happening on 3 different phones which never had this issue before Dec 2017 and that one of them does infact have data turned off and all the extra iphone rubbish that could use mobile data and which never used data while switched off prior to DEC 2017, he chose to ignore this and told me he had given the the solution and that was "turn off mobile data" he was totally uninterested in this issue and just kept repeating himself "turn off mobile data""turn off mobile data""turn off mobile data".

I gave up in the end and demanded to speak to a supervisor as he was just not listening to me and had no idea what was going on!! this was the only time he seemed to take interest in the call when he thought i had insulted him!!!

so i got put through to a supervisor!! oww wait no i never i got put through to BILLING she started off with ive looked at you account and the bill is correct for usage!! here we go i thought thankfully i explained the issue i was having she seemed to take it in and even said something doesnt seem right then. She was also unable to answer the issue with regards to some data being in tarrif and some beig out of tarrif even after speaking to tech staff

She gave me some insight that there have been a few issues like this on other accounts and some recent billing issues and supposedly opened up a ticket for an ongoing issue on my account for them to look into and that the on the hour usaage might have not been on the hour they just have it set up like that for ease of understanding  billing .

So reading into it  and with seeing others having the same issue it seems that issues have arisen since some sort of change over in the virgin infrustrucute of the mobile network which has caused problems

Wayne58
Tuning in
Message 19 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply at length.

You will see that in an earlier posting I did give full credit to Virginmobile for trying to resolve the issue (albeit in terms of refunds).

Having thought everything was sorted, I then had the same problem (albeit on a smaller scale). 

Using my now direct access telephone to UK-based Customer Services - the reward for hanging-in there, I guess), I reported this.  I was told that (and I may not be entirely accurate here, but it sort of chimes with your own experience) that the problem was because of 'old' ee SIM cards.  They would send me a (VM) replacement.

I received a replacement SIM.  Inserted it, used it.  And guess what, 3 days later I 'scored' yet one more additional £3 charge for exceeding usage which has simply not occurred.

My partner has been looking to change her carrier and I had been very positive about VM.  But now advising her to 'wait and see'.  

0 Kudos
alistair12
Joining in
Message 20 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Now they have told me to disable the APN on the phone which basically means no mobile data possible but when Wi-Fi is not present the phone would not be able to make or receive calls.They really are clowns and obviously nobody from virgin are monitoring these forums.😣😣

0 Kudos