Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 61 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Re: excess data usage

Hi Xsaraimp73,

My apologies for the delayed response. 

Have you had any further response from the team concerning this?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Les01889
Up to speed
Message 62 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Probably not. 

Virgin don't acknowledge there's a problem & customer service & others  are clueless about the number of their customers that are having this problem. 

0 Kudos
Xsaraimp73
Joining in
Message 63 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Hi,thanks for the support, totally agree with you !!!

This issue has now dragged on for more than 7 weeks  and am getting very frustrated  now!!!

0 Kudos
Xsaraimp73
Joining in
Message 64 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin,

Can you answer my question please?

0 Kudos
dazinator
Settling in
Message 65 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Just received a bill for £42, for a £9 a month tariff. That's £30 in data charges because I went over the 1 GB limit. Turns out I thought my phone was connected via wifi, when it actually wasn't and this is the result. 

It's disgusting that the service isn't capped by default, and so by default you are opted in to paying ridiculous charges for any excess data.

I spoke to customer services, they were apologetic and understanding, but no offer of a refund. Instead they said they have a newer tariff, which is actually slightly less per month and I get 3gb data instead of 1gb. If VM had upgraded me (a long standing customer) to this tariff automatically I wouldn't have been hit with these fees. But it seems VM don't care about their existing customer base as much as attracting new customers in.

My contract expires next month. The problem is I doubt any of the other providers are any different! However on principal, I am considering whether to cancel my broadband, phone, and cable tv package. Sure the services are good, but they aren't worth being robbed over.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 66 of 79
Flag for a moderator

VM have some good deals - certainly as cheap if not cheaper than most out there for similar packages but their continued method of controlling data usage lets them down badly - you can get them to send a text when your data usage hits a certain percentage but there is no cap and no cutoff

other mobile operators have better control in that area - at least one will not allow you to go over your limit - if you find yourself out of data you can then buy more - so you are in control

so search that all do not follow VM's model

Tony
0 Kudos
Xsaraimp73
Joining in
Message 67 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Just for information my bill for the whole of October received today. The total  = £6.00

Thanks Xsaraimp73

0 Kudos
Xsaraimp73
Joining in
Message 68 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Have researched CISAS: Communications and Internet Service Adjudication Scheme: https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/

Anyone with a dispute should check this out.

I will keep updating my progress as I go through the process.

0 Kudos
Les01889
Up to speed
Message 69 of 79
Flag for a moderator

@tony

You can set a usage cap now with Virgin. They finally brought this out a couple of months ago. You set it via your online account. I've set mine to "use only contracted allowance", any setting only takes effect at your next refresh date though. 

@dazinator

As for tariffs, you can also alter these through your online account & you can change tariffs once each month if you wish( although mine won't allow me to change 1 of my accounts). Just to let you know I'm getting 15GB (4G) of data for the same amount as I was paying for 1GB (3G) a few years ago, so it's worth keeping a check on what they're offering

P. S. This is the "Account Hub". I find it much more useful than the my account app  

https://mobile.virginmedia.com/ecare/login

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 70 of 79
Flag for a moderator

@Les01889 wrote:

@Tony

You can set a usage cap now with Virgin. They finally brought this out a couple of months ago. You set it via your online account. I've set mine to "use only contracted allowance", any setting only takes effect at your next refresh date though. 

only if you have the new purple sim - which apparently you can order via your account - but thats steeped in mystery - have tried and gave up and ringing 789 is not an option [for me] - lifes too short

Tony
0 Kudos