Menu
Wayne58
Tuning in
Message 1 of 48
Flag for a moderator

excess data usage

Anyone else having the same problem ? (see below)

In December I was charged £39 (11 x £3) for exceeding my data usage.  This was unprecedented and the bill also showed that I had only used 206.04MB of my 250MB allowance (old contract, light user !).

Calls to Customer Services achieved nothing.  They kept repeating that the bill was correct, that I £3 was the daily charge for exceeding my allowance.  The agent could not explain why my bill confirmed I had not exceeded my allowance

Today I sat down to write-up my complaint, but first I checked my latest bill on-line.  This shows that I have only used 135.64MB of my allowance with 114.36MB remaining, but that I have also been charged £33 (11 x £3) for exceeding my allowance!  A detailed examination of my usage and charges shows that the first £3 was charged the day after my allowance had been ‘refreshed’, of which I had only used 3.88MB.

This means I have already been over-charged £72 in two months, with the possibility that a further charge may yet be applied to my current bill, the billing date for this is today.

0 Kudos
Glen_UK
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 48
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: excess data usage

Hi,

If you see my thread a little further down you'll see that I am experiencing exactly the same thing.  I've been with Virgin Mobile for 18-months.  Up until recently I'd had no problems and been very impressed.  However, this started for me last month.

I have an iPhone 5S and haven't loaded any new apps or changed any settings.  I hadn't used my full 500MB allowance last month when this started happening.  Initially an advisor informed me that I must have an app open or doing something in the background which was causing this.  This is nonsense though as - like I said - I haven't changed anything on my phone.  They did agree to waive the additional charges.

But the same thing is happening to me again now.  I have used less than my data allowance, so how can I be getting charged extra?  The guy I spoke to at Virgin the other day told me that they have a new computer system and have been encountering some problems.  He again agreed to waive the charges, but I do not want to have to keep calling them because they are incompetent and can't get things right.

I want to give them a chance to put this right, but if this continues I shall be kicking up an almighty fuss about it, making people aware, going to the Ombudsman and leaving them.  Not at all impressed right now.

Wayne58
Tuning in
Message 3 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks - just good to know it's not only me !
0 Kudos
snowman
Joining in
Message 4 of 48
Flag for a moderator

My wife has a VM mobile too - It's £11 a month, always is, but last month it was £14

Mid way through the month we have a £3 'exceeded allowance' charge for 'using internet', but nothing thereafter!

Something seems awry - I can't make any sense of the billing - We didn't exceed the monthly allowance (nowhere near - 44MB of 250MB).

Going to just move to another supplier if this is a problem they can't explain or acknowledge...

0 Kudos
Wayne58
Tuning in
Message 5 of 48
Flag for a moderator

They have not admitted a 'problem', but have agreed to refund me ! 

0 Kudos
alistair12
Joining in
Message 6 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Hi all

I too am experiencing this problem for the past 2 months after numerous phone calls to liars  at virgin mobile. mobile data is switched off on the phone why i have to do this when connected to virgin wifi at home i dont know. Data usage happens all thru the night and all they say is everything is ok at there end , have now asked for a letter of deadlock from them and will be complaining as i am FUMING. I think virgin broadband and tv are also going to get a phone call and be told what they can do as well after 10 years

Alistair 

0 Kudos
Glen_UK
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here.  I've just logged into my account and the incorrect £3 overcharges are appearing again.  Second month in a row this has been happening.  Virgin cannot seem to get anything right, right now.

0 Kudos
snowman
Joining in
Message 8 of 48
Flag for a moderator

To be fair to them, when I called, they agreed it looked odd and told me they'd credit the £3 to next month's bill.

Presumably some kind of software issue with their billing data, but it's not good that people need to chase it to get a resolution.

0 Kudos
caravanj
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 48
Flag for a moderator

I must just be lucky because in five years I've never had an out-of-contract data charge.

0 Kudos
snowman
Joining in
Message 10 of 48
Flag for a moderator

Me neither until last month, so don't count your chickens! Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos