Menu
Les01889
Up to speed
Message 71 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Re: excess data usage

@tony

Ah, I don't know what colour my sims are but I upgraded 3 of them to 4G about a year ago so they're possibly purple. I upgraded through the online account. As you said, life's far too short to deal with the customer service numpties. 

0 Kudos
Confused-user
Joining in
Message 72 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

Is anyone still having problems with excess data usage charges?  I have been having these problems for the last 12 months. Small amounts of data being used every hour, e.g. 02.17am, 03.17am, 04.17am. I can see this even in those months that it doesn’t take me over my limit.

I have called various times and been credited the £3 overcharge each time. But when I called today the customer relations rep told me ‘I’m still talking, let me talk... the problem with customers is that they don’t listen...’, so I hung up before I lost me temper.  After a few deep breaths, I called again and this customer relations rep told me that I have to switch off my data.. *sigh*. Is anyone doing this? Switching data on and off when you are not at home and don’t have Wi-fi? Surely we shouldn’t have to keep switching it on and off all day?

I have been using Virgin for years and not had this problem until 12 months ago.

Whilst talking to the second customer relations rep today I got a text message saying my new SIM card is on the way...  I didn’t order one, but assume that the talkative rep ordered it for me.  I have an old red SIM card.  I asked the second rep about why a new SIM card was on the way to me, he just said they need to update my SIM card.  I asked if this would fix the data usage problem, he said I need to switch my data off and only on when I wanted to use it... like he does!

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wayne58
Tuning in
Message 73 of 79
Flag for a moderator

I may have started this 'string'!  My problem started (after many years with Virgin Mobile) in October 2017.  I also received a new SIM card, but it made no difference.  I stopped having the problem in June 2018.  I have no idea what changed, but it's not been a problem since then (which could be me tempting fate!).  Sorry, I can't offer any 'solution' - hope you get sorted soon,

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 74 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Hello Confused-user, 

Have you been able to check if there is any apps using data in the background?

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
Les01889
Up to speed
Message 75 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it still happens but doesn't seem to be as bad. Turning your data off won't stop the usage. It still registered even when data is off. The only certain way to stop it is actually turn your phone off when not in use such as overnight etc. 

Are you aware that you can set a "usage.cap"?  I have mine set to "only use monthly allowance". You may need a new sim for this though. It isn't an ideal solution but Virgin deny there's a problem with this so you'll get no help from them. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 76 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Hi Les01889,

By 'turning your data off' do you mean turning it off on the phone or asking us to turn it off for you? If you disable data usage in general on the phone it should stop all data being used on the device, I would recommend ensuring it is Mobile Data that you are turning off and not Data Roaming as data roaming would only disable data when you are abroad.

What device do you use? On most fairly modern handsets you can also change settings on the device that affects how both the device and individual apps use mobile data. For example you you can set the Play Store or App Store to only download apps and updates when on WiFi networks, this will stop it using large amounts of data in the background.

If you have an iPhone it is also recommended that in the data settings on the phone you check if the option right at the bottom of the page called WiFi Assist is disabled. This setting will allow your phone to check the signal quality of your WiFi when downloading data and if it determines it is particularly slow it will boost the connection quality by also using mobile data. Samsung have a similar setting called Download Booster which if enabled, activates mobile data when it comes to larger file downloads over WiFi.

Let me know if any of this information helps.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
Les01889
Up to speed
Message 77 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Turning it off on the phone (yes, I do realise the difference between turning data off & turning roaming off)

This problem has been an ongoing issue for a long time, search through the vast number of posts about it see. 

The only sure way for your customers to prevent this problem is to turn the phone off when not in use (overnight etc)

0 Kudos
Confused-user
Joining in
Message 78 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Update... 

I have my new SIM card and have been trying to remember to switch data on and off.. but don’t always remember as never had to do this with any other provider before!  The times I have forgotten to switch data off there are still small amounts of data being used every hour e.g. 01.19am, 02.19am, 03.19am.

Completely unsatisfactory.

Chris

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 79 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Hi Confused - user, 

Sorry to hear you've been having problems with your Mobile data usage. 

If you're not using your handset there can be applications that run in the background and use small amounts of data. Have you been able to check this on your handset?

Thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos