Menu
Highlighted
SteveW117
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Why have Virgin Sales started ringing my mobile again?

I updated my Virgin Media and Mobile preferences on 21st August 2018 to opt out of marketing calls. This seemed successful i.e. I stopped receiving frequent Virgin sales calls on my landline and mobile.

Recently I have started receiving unsolicited sales calls from Virgin on my mobile again. There have been at least two in the past week and I am concerned that this is going to continue, if not increase.

I opted out so that I would not receive these calls any more - how can I stop them again? I have just checked my Mobile/Media preferences and they are both set to NOT receive any information about email, post, SMS and phone.

Please advise!

0 Kudos
SteveW117
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why have Virgin Sales started ringing my mobile again?

As expected, I have already received further calls since posting this!

How do I stop them??

0 Kudos
SteveW117
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

OK, Virgin sales are now ringing me once or twice daily...

How can I stop this? I already opted out. I do not consent to receive sales calls. I had not received any for months prior to a few days ago.

Is anybody reading this? Any advice would be gratefully welcomed!

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

As VM appear to be failing to follow regulations on unsolicited marketing calls, then under GDPR regulations you can issue a notice under Article 21, the right to object.  https://gdpr-info.eu/art-21-gdpr/

Advice from Which on the use of Article 21 is here.  https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/can-i-stop-unwanted-direct-marketing

Advice on the law regarding marketing and advertising: https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/direct-marketing

The ico also provide information regarding telephone marketing: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/electronic-and-telephone-marketing/telephone-mark...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
SteveW117
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice - as Virgin sales are now ringing me at least once or twice every day (just had another call) I might have to take further action along the lines you describe.

They are obviously breaking their own rules by ringing me when I have specified that I do not give them consent to so...and maybe with GDPR that's now unlawful as well?

Does anybody from Virgin Media monitor these forums? Could they suggest another way to stop receiving unsolictited calls other than referring Virgin to the regulatory bodies?

The annoying this is that this was all sorted, I went several happy months without receiving these bothersome intrusions.

0 Kudos
SteveW117
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Another call - this is basically harrassment now. They are calling me twice a day, every day.

Am I the only one experiencing this? Has anybody been able to stop it?

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

lol. No your not the only one, I get it every October/November time from the mobile side because they think my contract phone has run out of contract - never ever had a contract online with Virgin though, only sim-only's 😬

My has account has been set as "no marketing" for years.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
SteveW117
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear...

'My has account has been set as "no marketing" for years.'

Unless somebody from the company reads this and suggests some resolution, the only options I can think of (other than just ignoring twice-daily calls FOREVER) are:

1. Install some Android software to block numbers? At least they (currently) use the same one every time.

2. Report them to Virgin as nuisance calls? (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Help/How-do-I-stop-unwanted-nuisance-malicious-or-withheld-numb...). Although I would then have to ring up and pay for the privilege:

If you received the call on your Virgin Media mobile, call our team on 789 from your Virgin Media mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone. Please note standard charges apply, please check with your network operator for rates.

3. Report this as a GDPR violation - I doubt this would result in any immediate action?

4. Leave Virgin? Seems stupid as the service is otherwise reliable.

It's such a stupid, little thing, but so annoying - why don't they just STOP IT!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi  SteveW117,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this. 

When did you opt out of both preferences?

^Martin

0 Kudos
SteveW117
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply - it was 21st August 2018 (as detailed in the original post).

I have to say the calls (home and mobile) stopped pretty quickly after that and didn't resume until a week or so ago.

Since then I've had daily calls to my mobile - not sure about the home phone.

Can you assist?

0 Kudos