cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why charged 1p for roaming internet?

Bloggski
Joining in

While travelling in the USA I've noticed a charge from a couple of days ago of £0.01 for using the Internet in zone 1 (1KB) on my UK Virgin Mobile account.

The amount is completely immaterial but I can't see how or why there's any charge when mobile data has been turned off for the last 6 days and the phone has only been used on local WiFi.

If the system can charge 1p for something I haven't done, then what's stopping it charging me more?

3 REPLIES 3

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin only pass on charges from the roaming network and have no control their end. 1Kb sounds like something checking with home.

Don't know what phone you have but things like Visual Voicemail or Google Messages are notorious for using network data even when it is turned off.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Samsung Galaxy M32 with no use of Visual Voicemail or Google Messages (whatever they are!). I guessed it might be something just making a ping, but why when data is off?

Phone has been sat on the side at work since Tuesday but suddenly in the early hours of Saturday morning this activity is supposed to have happened (while I was asleep). Odd.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Bloggski thanks for your post although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

This is a strange one, it could have been that you temporarily connected to mobile data before updating.

If you notice any further charges though please don't hesitate to let us know!
Many thanks

Tom_W